Alpaca VC is an all grit-no bullshit team of five investors who are committed to finding and supporting the best founders throughout the formative years of the startup lifecycle. We are a highly engaged team that blends collaboration and autonomy, and who values results and learning over rigid office hours. Everyone on the team is a solo-preneuer, yet no one hesitates to ask for help or assistance. We've been lucky to partner with top portfolio companies, including Compass, Latch, Imperfect Foods, Transfix, The Inside, and more.
We are looking for “Employee #6” — a new Analyst. It’s an opportunity for someone looking to break into venture and get meaningful exposure to many facets of the industry: founders, other investors, and deal structure/terms and operators. To see a variety of deals and get creative and employ “out of the box” thinking. We encourage a founder’s mentality — seeking out responsibility, forming strong opinions, leveraging your unique skill sets, and continually developing personally and professionally.
You’ll support a critical business function — evaluating potential deals — and will help us to complete research on companies and perform due diligence so we can make quick investments with conviction. It’s a chance to partner closely with the entire team and in doing so develop special relationships.
In this job you will:
- Be a core part of our five person investment team
- Perform background research on potential company investments to develop an opinion on the risks and upside of investment
- Dive deeply into and further develop company financial models to understand revenue, cash-flow and growth drivers
- Quickly learn about diverse industries (including, but not limited to): consumer, marketplaces, real estate tech and fintech) and then understand how the company fits in with industry trends
- Draft recommendation memos to inform senior team members of the pros and cons of investing in a company
- Meet with founders and operators to better understand their company, how they plan to go beyond their seed stage, and in so doing strike a balance between learning about them and showing them the value of joining the Alpaca community
- Attend events, network in the broader ecosystem, and be a brand champion of the firm
- Support work on internal fund operations including tracking, auditing, modeling
What makes you a great fit for this role:
- You’re curious and passionate about start-ups and technology
- You have the uncanny ability to take incomplete information about a company and quickly build out a more complete picture of their future (think solving a puzzle)
- You have very strong written skills and can communicate verbally with internal team members and potential founders
- You’re a natural networker and bridge builder; someone who likes making connections and building relationships within the broader venture ecosystem
- You’re as comfortable speaking with founders as you are breaking apart a financial model — you like conversation as much as Excel
- You strike a balance between craftsmanship (care for the quality of your work) with pragmatism (good enough is good enough)
- You’re willing to do whatever it takes — including support work — because you want to support the team
- Completed Bachelors degree and 2–3 years of relevant work experience
- Competitive compensation and benefit package