At BDC, we help Canada and its entrepreneurs create a prosperous, inclusive and green economy. Our mission is to help Canadian businesses thrive by providing financing, capital and advisory services. We’re devoted to Canadian entrepreneurs. We’re also dedicated to our employees. Adaptable. Inspiring. Different. There’s a reason we like to work here, and we think you’ll like it too. Join BDC and help make a difference!
Diversity. Equity. Inclusion. They’re more than just words for BDC. These concepts are foundational to our success and to our ability to attract, retain, mobilize and develop the right talent, as well as to offer a healthy, professional and collaborative environment. We are committed to cultivating and preserving an environment where all employees can thrive, and, for over a decade, we have been recognized as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers and one of Canada's Best Diversity Employers. In recruiting for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that you can bring in terms of your education, opinions, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, color, religion, disability, sexual orientation, beliefs, experiences, and more.
Investment Analysts join one of our teams as an early-career professional to operate parts of the process of evaluating potential deals and of monitoring our current portfolio.
In this role, you will network, research, and perform analysis for prospective and current investments. These will cover strategic topics such as markets, industries, ecosystems, and competition, as well as operational ones, such as financials, management, and products. You are expected to leverage sharp analytic skills and be able to work alongside experts on a variety of market and industrial subjects.
CHALLENGES TO BE MET
- Perform market research and scouting to inform the fund’s investment strategy, identifying emerging markets, verticals, technologies, or companies
- Conduct initial business plan reviews, prepare initial interview guides and alignment memo with recommendations to pursue or decline
- Perform due diligence analysis on companies’ market, competition, management, sales, products, cap table, and anything that is relevant to determining potential business value and exit strategies
- Manage operational tasks in due diligence such as booking meetings, and preparing interview guides
- Determine and validate performance metrics, feeding valuation models, forecasts and financial pro formas
- Analyze technical documentation and/or work with technical consultants to evaluate technologies, products, and services
- Assist in reference calls with competitors, clients, industry experts, and prospect company’s current or past employees
- Conduct routine background checks, KYC (Know Your Client) and AML (Anti Money Laundering)
- Assist in managing the deal pipeline
Portfolio Management & Support
- Manage operational tasks in portfolio management including corporate fund performance reporting
- Track monthly/quarterly/annual company financial reporting and business milestone progress to create company account updates
- Monitor portfolio performance, comparing performance to forecasts and models, and relaying potential opportunities and issues to management
- Support other team members as appropriate during the life cycle of an investment
- Ensure that the investment research files, and other collected information, including legal documentation, are maintained in conformity with our policies and procedures
- Ensure that new and existing investment files are properly documented by monitoring investments, amendments, and disbursements, including financial analysis and forecasting
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- 1 to 3 years of experience in a role involving structured thinking, financial analysis, and technical expertise. These profiles are likely to come from, but are not limited to:
- Finance roles: venture capital, private equity, investment bank, accounting firm
- Operator roles: technology startup, industry-leading corporation, industry specialist
- Advisory roles: consulting, law, corporate strategy, corporate development
- Bachelor’s degree in Commerce, Economics, Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM). Other degrees are viable, if the professional has strong analytical skills
- Good skills in Excel, particularly in building financial models that include sensitivity analysis and scenario modeling, as well as performing data analysis. Any other analytic tools and techniques are an asset
- Strong ability to use other MS-suite applications, mainly Word and PowerPoint
- Strong communication & presentation skills
- Any technology skills with wide application, such as coding, chemistry, electronics are an asset
- Operational knowledge of any technical industry is an asset
- Bilingualism in French and English is an asset
- Supportive, helpful attitude – willingness to proactively identify gaps and fill them
- Motivation and ability to do focused, independent work, in the context of a team
- Ability to work collaboratively and build positive relationships with stakeholders
- Willingness to learn and take feedback constructively
- Comfort working in a fast-paced environment, where objectives must be met within tight deadlines
With us, you'll be able to achieve the work/life balance you're looking for, with competitive working conditions and above-market flexible benefits. This includes modern workspaces to work from when you are in our offices, and, for some specific positions, the ability to work remotely, on reserve, and/or within your community.
While we appreciate all applications, we advise that only the candidates selected to participate in the recruitment process will be contacted. If you are a candidate with a disability and need an accommodation to complete the application process, please email us at accessibility@BDC.ca, and include your full name, the best way to reach you, and the accommodation needed to assist you with the application process.