Baukunst is a collective of creative technologists advancing the art of building companies at the frontiers of technology and design. We have shipped over 50 first generation technology products (including the first iPhone), co-founded multiple startups, and been the first check investor in over 100 technology companies.
We’ve just closed a $100M pre-seed fund and are seeking an analyst or an associate to join our investment team.
You will primarily be sourcing founders to invest in. Given our stage, sourcing looks a lot more like identifying excellent talent and market opportunities vs. analyzing a balance sheet. We’re looking for someone who is humble, hard working, and has a high degree of empathy for founders.
You will work directly with the four General Partners at Baukunst: Kate McAndrew, Tyler Mincey, Matt Thoms and Axel Bichara, as the only junior investment team member. We believe in growing talent from within and that an apprenticeship model leads to a long, successful career in venture capital. With exceptional performance, you will have the potential to be on a path to principal and partner one day. As a signal of this, you will receive carry in the fund from day one.
- Work directly with General Partners to source, screen, and due diligence high quality founders and companies.
- Develop, track, and manage databases of startups, co-investors, and follow on investors.
- Design and manage systems that support lead generation within Baukunst’s investment focus. This could mean software you develop, communities you start, or content you write.
- Grow your personal skills as an independent-minded lead investor and company builder
- We are open to recent college graduates as well as candidates with a graduate degree and/or several years of work experience.
- No previous VC experience is required, although familiarity with the startup ecosystem is necessary.
- Strong analytical skills. An engineering or technical background is a plus
- Strong networking skills and an outgoing personality. VC is a people business, and you will need to build a diverse, high quality network quickly.
- Strong interpersonal skills. You will often be talking to entrepreneurs and other investors on behalf of Baukunst. Present with polish, clarity, empathy, and personality.
- Extremely proactive and self-directed. You will have a lot of autonomy in this role and need to be comfortable charting a path without a lot of direction.
- Excitement to become a key member of the investment team. We intend for this role to be a long term growth opportunity and are committed to investing in the development of your career.
How to Apply
- Fill out this form or get an intro to one of our GPs. If it looks like a potential match we’ll reach out to schedule an intro call with you.
- What does Baukunst invest in? We invest in pre-seed companies at the frontiers of technology and design. As a generalist fund, we’ve invested across a range of sectors including AI, food systems, engineering software, supply chain visibility, industrial automation, deep tech, sustainability, and consumer products. You can see some of the team’s prior investments here
- Where is the position based? This is a full time role based in San Francisco or Boston, with a preference for San Francisco.
- What prior experience or education is required? We are open to recent college graduates as well as candidates with a graduate degree and/or several years of work experience. No previous VC experience is required, although familiarity with the startup ecosystem is necessary.
- Is this a partner-track position? Yes. We believe in growing talent from within and that an apprenticeship model leads to a long, successful career in venture capital. With exceptional performance, you will have the potential to be on the path to principal and partner one day.
To keep up to date with other opportunities from Baukunst, please follow us on twitter or subscribe to our newsletter.