Sozo Ventures was formed in 2012 to invest in and support technology-enabled ventures with their global expansion with a focus on helping to accelerate adoption in the Japanese and Asian markets. We invest in category leaders transforming global industries with advanced data technologies, eCommerce, enterprise cloud, fintech, IoT and healthcare IT, and other advanced solutions.
We are structured to connect the most ambitious entrepreneurial teams with the world’s most advanced and respected customers and distributors. We are at our best when we can share our expertise well before expansion strategies are set.
Our exceptional team has invested in and supported companies such as Coinbase, Zoom, Palantir, Fastly, MongoDB, Twitter, Square, Cohesity, Flexport, Applied Intuition, Attentive Mobile, and more producing top percentile returns.
We leverage our deep networks and personal experience to provide market knowledge, deployment expertise, entity formation guidance, sales channels, hiring, strategy advice, and relationships needed to expand and thrive.
Global expansion and internationalization is not a one-size-fits-all approach – we get our hands dirty and dive in at all stages of company building from seed to pre-IPO, and support businesses across multiple stages of financing.
If you would like to apply for this role, please email Spencer Foust (email@example.com) with your resume by December 10th, 2021 and we will send you an application.
Help lead investment process
- Manage Asana platform (Team Task Manager)
- Ensure follow up with each team member on tasks
- Manage CRM – Affinity – (Manage the status of deals based on investment team recommendations)
- Use Pitchbook and other tools to create and prioritize target investment companies
- Use pitchbook to download a list of companies using filters decided on by the team
- Review the list and make cuts to prioritize tangible investment opportunities. Work with the team on this. Use external data sources (and find new ones) to evaluate these companies and ensure they are “Category Leaders” so investment and BD team can be informed. Create a system to pull all the info together to share with team. Then, work with investment team to prioritize action items for best target investments.
- Use company research and tracking tools, Top Company lists, reports, resources from investment team, other systems we are developing
- Manage this process on a recurring basis.
- Help manage the team (including potentially some calendaring) to GTD (Get Things Done).
- Help run weekly team and investment meetings to move all of the above forward
- Lead some investment memos and diligence processes
- This is not a deal-sourcing role, though there is some potential for someone interested to learn this function over time (not mandatory)
- The purpose of this role is to allow the investment team to spend more time on deal-sourcing and execution. Thus, this role works VERY closely with the investment team, but investment is not the priority for this role.
- Right-hand person to the investment team and investment process lead
- Attention to detail
- Process minded
- Personable and has the ability to work with many different personality and nationality types – diversity minded (our team members have lived all over the world and come from many places)
- OK with ambiguity, rolls with the punches, able to quickly and frequently have priorities change. Very adaptable.
- Can tackle anything operationally and “Can figure it out” attitude. Many small but important projects that impact brand and perception of firm
- Firm-family-minded. Person of their values and the firm’s values. We are a close group and frequently do activities together including traveling for events, dinners with other investors and LPs, golfing (only if like golf, not required), off-site trips sometimes out of state, etc. We also allow and want our team members to spend time with their families, and lead happy and fulfilled lives and be able to pursue their hobbies.
- Understands the basics of an international, Fortune 500, global corporation and the structures of those businesses, their many different departments, leadership levels, etc.
- Has traveled abroad
- Excellent communication skills
- Great with technology and systems – Word, PPT, Excel, some excel or other program modeling (i.e. Tableau, etc. – no specific program required), presentation building skills,
- can learn new tech as necessary (i.e. not scared by a new app or software program and exploring how to determine how Sozo can best use it)
- Must be comfortable telling a story with Data
- Engineering and Process minded
- Professional in all qualities
- But can joke around ;)
- Someone that everyone likes to spend time with
- Two year role, with strong exit opportunities and potential to move to other tracks within the organization (investment team, operations, business development, etc)
- Substantial career development opportunities for high performers
- Yearly travel for team off-sites or international events (1-2X/year for 1 week (ex.))
- Support events and operation team on as-needed basis, or when necessary to prioritize due to important event
- Competitive salary and benefits scaled to experience of the candidate
- Role has potential to be very long-term oriented and to grow with the correct candidate. Should the candidate look to new future opportunities, the team will support that process 100% and use network to help candidate reach goals (as possible via investor network, our portfolio companies, Kauffman fellows, friends, etc).
- Support for attending networking opportunities and some events, as long as above it maintained
- This role can flex to the ‘genius’ and strengths of the candidate
- Ability to speak Japanese or other Asian languages is a plus, but not necessary