About Octopus Ventures
With £1.3 billion under management and investing over £100m a year, Octopus Ventures (OV) is one of the largest and most active venture investors in Europe. Our typical investment is from £1 million for Seed to £10 million for Series B and we can continue to fund the companies we back right through to IPO.
Our investment team is built to specialise in the four areas we believe will change the world for the better: health, money, deep tech and consumer. We back ‘pioneers’ and we use the term very deliberately to carve out that subset of entrepreneurs who are truly breaking new ground. Since 2008 we have backed nearly 120 teams, including Zoopla, Swiftkey, WaveOptics, Elvie, Bought by Many, Tails.com, Secret Escapes, graze.com and Cazoo.
We are based in London and New York with a network that spans from San Francisco to China. The companies we back become a part of this network, with access to a formidable resource of experience and expertise.
Going forwards we aim to capitalise on our strong market position and network by building a team focused on investments in the Gaming space, predominantly at Seed and Series A. The newly formed team will be part of the wider Consumer team but with a very distinct focus on the gaming sector. This new team/individual will seek to close two to three new investments per year; and as we grow the portfolio, there will be additional deal flow from follow-ons.
The investment professional will be a member of the Consumer team within Octopus Ventures – expected to help with sourcing and execution of new investments, take board seats and help shape the strategy focusing on Gaming.
Our ideal candidate will have experience from and passion for the gaming industry; as either experienced investors or operators.
You’ll divide your time roughly into:
- 20-30% finding new opportunities
- Attend and speak at industry events
- Build and maintain a deep network in the UK and European VC ecosystem
- Lead deep dives, industry analysis and market mapping of relevant sectors
- Track and chase companies, you are excited about
- Keep up to date and have a genuine interest in the developments and trends in tech and the Consumer landscape
- 20-30% leading of new investments
- Take responsibility of all aspects of the deal process
- Lead due diligence, manage advisors, conduct site visits and expert interviews, assess market opportunity and sensitize financial forecasts
- Recommend and own valuation and ideal round structure
- Prepare internal briefing and IC documents
- Present and sell new opportunities internally to the investment and the partners
- 20% portfolio / board work and fund
- Take on board positions representing Octopus Ventures
- Draw on own and team network to support portfolio companies where possible
- Build close working relationships with founding teams of portfolio companies
- Manage complex situations within the portfolio incl. performance management, follow-on rounds and exits
- Take ownership of valuation of companies you are entrusted with
- 20% shaping the strategy for the Gaming investment thesis
- Take responsibility for shaping the strategy for investments in the gaming space i.e. which sectors, stage etc.
- Developing Octopus’s credibility as an investor in the Gaming sector
We know you have what it takes, if you have:
Extensive relevant professional experience (minimum 2-3 years); likely but not necessarily including:
- Originating, leading and executing investments in VC;
- Working with and monitoring portfolio companies;
- An experienced Operator in a Gaming focused start-up;
- Demonstrable experience leading and coaching junior team members;
- A strong passion for tech investing and knowledge of the VC ecosystem;
- A strong passion and interest in Gaming;
- Board experience (advantageous, but not crucial).
You’ll be a great fit for the team, if you are:
- A team player who wants to be part of a tight and ambitious team with shared values: – one team, be bold, be straightforward and be helpful
- Naturally curious and passionate about the companies we invest in and the ecosystem they operate in
- Somebody who enjoys liaising with different kinds of people, representing Ventures internally and externally
- Result orientated and hands-on
- Prepared to get involved in every aspect of fund management
- Ambitious and take pride in your work
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don't just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strengths:
- We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company's vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for.
- We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold.
- We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in.
- We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and were always learning, adapting and improving.
- We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.