Andreessen Horowitz (known as "a16z") is a venture capital firm in Silicon Valley, California that backs bold entrepreneurs building the future through technology. We invest in seed through growth-stage technology companies, across the enterprise, consumer, fintech, bio, healthcare, and crypto verticals. a16z has nearly $16.5B in assets under management across multiple funds, including 3 Bio Funds representing $1.4B total assets under management.
We’ve invested in companies like Airbnb, Coinbase, Figma, Instacart, Lyft, Pinterest, Roblox, Slack, and Stripe; and in the bio and healthcare world, Accolade, BigHat Biosciences, Cedar, Devoted Health, EQRx, Freenome, Insitro, Komodo Health, Omada Health, and PatientPing.
Read more about our Bio Fund thesis here. Software is eating bio and healthcare, and bio is eating the world!
We’ve established an approach that is defined by a fundamental respect for the entrepreneur and the company building process. Our team is composed of ex-founders and operators who have built numerous bio and healthcare companies, and therefore bring a uniquely empathetic lens to helping entrepreneurs and their companies impact and change the world.
We’re looking to add a new bio- and healthcare- focused member to our Bio Deal Team. The Deal Analyst will work with our general partners to source and evaluate investment opportunities, perform market research and analyses, and support our portfolio companies. The Deal Team’s primary goal is to keep a comprehensive pulse on the life sciences (novel research technologies, diagnostics, and therapeutics platforms) and healthcare (payor, provider, employer, and patient-focused tech and care delivery services platforms) ecosystems to discover the most promising founders and investment opportunities, support our team in making the best possible investment decisions, and establish definitive points of view on the future of bio and healthcare through our research and content.
This role will be based in the San Francisco Bay Area, CA.
To Join Our Team, You Should Be Excited To
- Source investment opportunities. The Deal Analyst will systematically curate and find promising investment opportunities in the bio and healthcare domain by doing outreach and developing long-term relationships with researchers/scientists, academic and research institutions, high-potential founders, and entrepreneurs.
- Develop and help our team sharpen a definitive investment thesis. Why would we invest in this company and founder? What creates the opportunity for an outsized return in a space? What market and technology trends are creating dislocations and therefore investing opportunities?
- Conduct comprehensive and objective diligence. The Deal Analyst will lead diligence on a multitude of investment opportunities. You will develop and provide detailed analyses of the company’s target market, people, science, products, technologies, go-to-market plan, competitive dynamics, regulatory plan, and anything else relevant to making an investment decision. In this role you will collaborate with others on the Deal Team, including across verticals, and outside domain experts, to get to the best possible answer on any diligence project.
- Deepen and expand a subject matter expert network. The Deal Analyst will continuously grow & nurture the firm’s network of subject matter experts, and develop the ability to quickly determine the best resource(s) to contact for a given diligence area.
- Contribute to Deal Team operations, such as inbound deal funnel management, notes during pitch meetings, tracking of data for benchmarking, and institutionalization of knowledge and data for Deal Team-wide use.
- Contribute to a16z content (e.g. blog posts, podcasts, presentations, YouTube videos, etc): You will conduct research and contribute content related to content authored by the Bio Fund team.
- Participate in relevant ecosystem events and networks. The Deal Analyst represents a16z in the industry. You may attend and participate in relevant industry events to form long-term relationships with network stakeholders, collect data, and bring founder flow and market insights to the team.
- 3+ years of professional experience, ideally in management consulting, financial services / investing, and/or analyst roles in companies; or a masters or PhD in a scientific discipline. Undergraduate studies in bio or healthcare related domains preferred.
- Genuine intellectual curiosity, aka loves to nerd out in tech, bio, and healthcare domains, and has desire and proven ability to explore and uncover new domains and technologies quickly.
- Demonstrated analytical capabilities - an ability to diligence complex topics, whether financial, technical or scientific, including both primary and secondary research.
- The ability to gather, learn, synthesize and effectively present and communicate (verbal/written) complex information.
- A natural user and connoisseur of the latest apps for business and / or personal productivity.
- Excellent attention to detail and follow through.
- Ability to balance multiple projects and work on tight deadlines.
- Shows up with energy, an optimistic attitude, and a belief in the future!
- Prior investing, diligencing, and sourcing experience is ideal but not required.
- We do only first class business and only in a first class way
- We take a long view of relationships, because we are in the relationship business
- We believe in the future and bet the firm that way
- We are all different, we recognize that, and we win
- We celebrate the good times
- We do it for the team
- We play to win
At a16z, we are always looking to hire the absolute best talent, and recognize that diversity in our experiences and backgrounds is what makes us stronger. We hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, Veteran status, and any other status. These differences are what enables us to work towards the future we envision for ourselves, our portfolio companies, and the World.