As an early-stage VC, it’s our job not only to discover the best companies before they actually become them but to foster an environment where they have access to the best possible opportunity for success. With a strong belief that capital investment is just one part of the journey, we strive to deliver transformational impact to our founders on a daily basis on the topics that affect the trajectory of a company the most: Product, People, and Commercial Growth.
Operating across the intersection of venture capital and venture building gives us the space to find the corners where we can have the most impact. Whether that is through building the path to commercialization and market entry, to growth hacking the ways to access the right customers, or, selecting and setting up the ideal CRM. We are looking for a Commercial Growth expert (m/f/x) who can work with our founding teams on hacking the best ways from the first customer to scale.
Why we are looking for you now:
We launched the Venture Development function 3 years ago with the goal to combine the best of strategy consulting, venture building, and talent hacking to shape how we can support our ventures beyond the capital. Having seen the impact that our team can have from hiring strategy to mission-critical execution topics, we’re now looking to launch the Commercial Growth function within Venture Development to do the same. As the pioneer in this function, you will:
- Work directly with your colleagues in VD, our Entrepreneurs-in-Residence, Founders, Studio, and Investment Teams on building the best go-to-market strategies for their business and unlocking commercial growth. This can include everything from defining the first customer persona, GTM, commercial strategy, finding the right sales set-up, building the right incentive structures and zooming in on channels, and hacking the conversion rates
- Partner at eye-level with founders on all stages of their commercial journey from how to define and acquire the right customer, to the moment the first revenue arrives. This includes strategic work as well as going to the engine room to set up and optimize CRM infrastructure
- Actively ideate and build a toolkit of workshops, networks, materials, and partnerships that will enable you to maximize your impact across the portfolio
- Zoom in and out: Take a commercially focused, but holistic approach supporting our founders across the whole venture-building journey. With great business understanding, you translate business plans into commercial strategy. You are able to take over urgent & critical tasks directly to act in the best interest of the company.
- Work in close conjunction with the wider Venture Development team to consult and collaborate on broader Growth related topics including talent, organization, and product.
Your role: A founder’s right hand in building a business
You are developing a new function with us. Thus, you are shaping us as well as your own path in venture capital. We provide a setup that is ideal for people who love to challenge the status quo and are passionate about sales, commercialization, market entry, growth & early-stage venture building. We are building the Commercial Growth & Venture Development function to work directly on urgent, mission-critical projects. You will design, and lead your own projects.
Who you will work with
- You will be part of the platform function “Venture Development” operating across both FoodLabs and Atlantic Labs, and reporting to our Operating Partner Thilo
- You will on a daily basis work on eye level with Founders and their leadership teams, ranging from pre-seed to pre-IPO
- You will collaborate daily and host projects with our Studio & Investment teams
What you need to succeed in this role:
- Venture Building Expertise: You gained experience in a high-performance startup-up environment and directly influence revenues going from barely existing to millions in MRR, learning first-hand what it takes to successfully build and execute excellent commercial growth. You have a strong spike in B2B and B2B2C companies. If you have targeted customers from various industries before, it will help in this role
- Sales & Commercial Expertise: You have a strong track record developing customer acquisition strategies and implementing them incl. work experience with go-to-market strategies, CRM & tooling selection and implementation, funnel building, and customer targeting. You have informed experience to coach & mentor. A spike targeting SMEs is highly advantageous.
- Curiosity & Ambition: Your learning journey will be steep. You need to be driven by an absolute thirst for knowledge, operational excellence, and the grit to work on long-term goals in this hectic, yet incredibly rewarding environment working with so many different startups.
- Strong self-management and project management skills: You have proven yourself in a demanding, fast-paced environment and are used to engaging with decision-makers. You act with empathy and integrity and back your decisions with data.