Corporate Development, Associate
Andreessen Horowitz (known as "a16z") is a venture capital firm in Silicon Valley, California that backs bold entrepreneurs building the future through technology. We are stage agnostic. We invest in seed to late-stage technology companies, across the consumer, enterprise, bio/healthcare, crypto, and fintech spaces. a16z has nearly $16.5B in assets under management across multiple funds, including the $1.4B Bio funds, the $865M Crypto funds, and the Cultural Leadership Fund.
We’ve established a team that is defined by respect for the entrepreneur and the entrepreneurial company building process. We’ve invested in companies like Airbnb, Apeel, Coinbase, Figma, Freenome, Instacart, Lyft, Slack, and Stripe. Our team is at the forefront of new technology, helping entrepreneurs and their companies impact and change the world.
We have an immediate opening for an Associate in our Corporate Development Group. The primary function of this role is to provide real and sustained value to: (i) immediate peers in the Corporate Development group; (ii) the broader firm, through cross-functional collaboration; and (iii) the Firm’s portfolio companies.
Role Responsibilities Include
- Assist the Firm's portfolio companies with equity and debt capital raising
- Perform valuation analyses for investment and M&A execution
- Assist in the coordination and execution of strategic processes and portfolio analysis
- Create presentation materials for internal and external audiences for both the group and the Firm’s portfolio companies
Team and Cross-Functional Project and Operations
- Assist in coordinating and maintaining relationships with external service providers (legal, accounting, investment banking, consulting, value added services, etc.)
- Conduct primary research for the group or in coordination with other internal operating groups
- Create and manage models/dashboards that deliver key insights on industry developments and trends
- Support ad-hoc projects related to the Firm’s priorities and initiatives
Market Analysis and Internal Portfolio Analysis
- Perform comprehensive, in-depth company and industry research as well as complex portfolio and benchmarking analysis
- Create and maintain market maps for strategic and financial targets
- Positive attitude, good instincts and self motivation
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work cross-functionally across the various operational groups within a16z
- Ability to quickly build trust with other team members as well as entrepreneurs and broader capital/strategic network
- Demonstrated personal and professional achievement
- 2+ years of corporate finance experience. Preferable past experience includes but is not limited to, corporate development roles, investment banking in a sector coverage capacity (technology, healthcare / life sciences, or fintech) or M&A product role, management consulting, and other technology-focused finance roles where capital raising or M&A was a strong focus
- Experience in financial modeling and data and analytics
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and apply initiative and creativity on projects
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Business, Economics, or a technical field preferred but not required
- We do only first class business and only in a first class way
- We take a long view of relationships, because we are in the relationship business
- We believe in the future and bet the firm that way
- We are all different, we recognize that, and we win
- We celebrate the good times
- We do it for the team
- We play to win
At a16z we are always looking to hire the absolute best talent and recognize that diversity in our experiences and backgrounds is what makes us stronger. We hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, Veteran status, and any other status. These differences are what enables us to work towards the future we envision for ourselves, our portfolio companies, and the World.