TDK Ventures is the Corporate Venture Capital arm of TDK Corporation, and invests in startups to bolster innovation in materials science, energy/power and related areas typically underrepresented in venture capital portfolios. Established in 2019 as a wholly owned subsidiary of TDK Corporation with dedicated funds, the corporate venture company’s vision is to propel the digital, energy and environmental transformations of segments such as Cleantech, Energy, Materials, Industrial, Mobility and Medical and the wider IoT/IIoT markets. TDK Ventures invests globally in early stage hard-tech entrepreneurs to help accelerate their dreams, and serves our portfolio companies by bringing the full “TDK Goodness” to them, including technical expertise and access to global markets where TDK operates. We believe in a sustainable world where digital, energy and environmental transformations will improve billions of lives. Our mission is to help accelerate learning and contributions to society, investing in start-ups with similar idealism.
TDK Ventures is looking for a brilliant Investment Analyst to join its investing team. This is an exciting opportunity to work with an award-winning, top-tier Corporate Venture Capital fund in Silicon Valley or Boston. TDK Ventures continues to pioneer corporate venturing with “TDK Goodness” to entrepreneurs in the deeptech space. Currently, TDK Ventures is investing out of its second $150M fund and is backed by TDK Corporation – a Japanese electronics conglomerate.
Reporting to an Investment Director, the Investment Analyst will have significant involvement in all aspects of the investment process, including deep explorations, deals generation and due diligences. This position’s responsibilities will include:
- Synthesize comprehensive and cogent startups and technologies maps in Strategic Spaces based on deep analysis of relevant market and technology trends reports, with the goal to identify and recommend next Strategic Spaces and curated investment opportunities to consider
- Regularly update lists of current co-investors with updates on their latest activities and investments, as well as of potential sector-based investors that would be suitable partners to co-invest with in future first or follow-on financing rounds
- Document relevant and up-to-date information from trusted sources in CRM system related to all startups in Strategic Spaces, highlighting key learning and next steps to consider when appropriate
- Based on investment priorities identified by Investment Directors, create supporting materials for investment proposals, weekly project reviews, and TDK Ventures Briefings
- Support Associates and Investment Directors in due diligence activities by providing assistance on financial modeling, market research, IP analysis, customer calls, and technology analyses
- Manage dealflow funnel and managing interactions with entrepreneurs, venture capitalist partners, other CVC partners, and internal TDK colleagues
- Create presentation materials for investment committee review, articulating investment theses, and highlighting key transaction considerations and unique insights
- Participating in all aspects of due diligence including financial modeling, business and competitive analysis, deal structuring, and customer and management reference calls
- Supporting the firm’s existing investments, including internal reporting, business development opportunities, and follow-on transactions
Candidates for this position should have the following:
- One to three years of experience (full-time or part-time) in private equity, venture capital, consulting, or investment banking
- PhD degree or equivalent in a technical field (Materials Sciences, Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Physics, etc.)
- Successful academic and professional track record
- Interest in working with early-stage businesses focused on material science, energy/power, biomedical, and related areas typically underrepresented in venture capital portfolios
- Outstanding analytical skills, detail-oriented, proactive and self-motivated with ability to articulate ideas in group setting
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial environment with limited supervision
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Superior decision making, time management, and organizational skills
- Self-starter personality with superior work ethic and uncompromising personal integrity
TDK Ventures offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience, and comprehensive benefits package.