The Investment Associate will be a member of the investment team and will participate in the end-to-end sourcing and execution of deals. In addition, there will be exposure to some post-close engagements in on-going relationships, and the on-going processes of the venture group. As a member of Munich Re Ventures, this role will also help with market landscaping and other research. The position is located in San Francisco, with frequent travel within the US.
The Investment Associate will:
• Partner internally with the businesses to understand and inform their strategy, evaluate specific opportunities, gain business sponsorship, and identify specific activities to deliver strategic value.
• Assist in development of strategic themes and actionable investment thesis in areas of strategic relevance, in collaboration with the businesses and rest of the MRV team.
• Network externally to generate deal flow and relationships.
• Assist in preliminary due diligence on specific opportunities to assess attractiveness.
• Assist in preparation of review materials, updates, and Investment Memos for MRV’s governing bodies and the Investment Committee.
• Manage deal tracking and reporting.
• Conduct research on industry sectors, specific companies, and venture activity.
• Strategic Vision & Passion for Creating the Future: To be effective in this role requires gaining an understanding of Munich Re’s global insurance and reinsurance businesses, including business models, drivers of economic value, the insurance value chain, competition, risk transfer mechanisms and products, and regulatory environment. Individuals must be able to then build upon this knowledge to envision alternative futures and growth strategies and specific tactical paths to getting there, based on emerging trends, market dynamics, and evolving customer needs and partner opportunities.
• Intellectual Curiosity: Innate and insatiable intellectual curiosity about business, technology, and business models. Active and constant monitoring and engagement with the innovation ecosystem is essential.
• Strong Analytical Skills: Candidates must have requisite financial and investment analysis and research skills.
• Superior Visual & Written Communication Skills: Ability to sift through large quantities of information, both quantitative and qualitative, identify the salient points, and communicate them in the appropriate form in a succinct and elegant story or case.
• Superb Communicator & Relentless Networker: High level of communication, influence and interpersonal skills in order to network, navigate, and execute internally with cross-functional teams and externally with multiple stakeholders and partners.
• Disciplined Adaptable Tactician: Strong execution and follow-through in emergent and uncertain situations. The ability to be adaptable and problem solve in the face of evolving internal and external stakeholder agendas and changing priorities is critical.
Munich Re Ventures (MRV) is the venture capital group of Munich Re, the world’s largest reinsurance company, and a leading global provider of primary insurance and insurance-related risk solutions. MRV is a $1B+ platform that is financially driven, while focused on the strategic interests of Munich Re and the broader insurance industry. MRV’s experienced investors work closely with Munich Re Group businesses across the globe to fund and partner with the best emerging companies that are developing new technologies and business models – and risks – for tomorrow’s world. The funds cover a broad set of sectors including: InsurTech, Cybersecurity & Privacy, ClimateTech, Industrial & Equipment Technologies, and the Future of Transportation.
MRV Website: https://www.munichreventures.com/
• 1+ years of experience, including 3+ months in venture capital
• MBA preferred, especially combined with a degree in one of the investment sectors mentioned
• Knowledge and fluency in emerging technology and business models in sectors relevant to Munich Re
• Willing to travel 15-20% of the time including internationally