Munich Re Ventures (MRV) is the venture capital group of Munich Re, the world's largest reinsurance company, and a leading global provider of primary insurance and insurance-related risk solutions. MRV is a $1B+ platform that is financially focused while covering the strategic interests of Munich Re and the broader insurance industry. MRV covers and invests in a broad set of sectors including Insurtech, Cybersecurity & Privacy, ClimateTech, Industrial & Equipment Technologies, and the Future of Transportation.
MRV Website: https://www.munichreventures.com/
The Role: Investment Associate
The Investment Associate will be a member of the investment team focusing on the Equipment Technologies and ClimateTech sectors. The core part of the role is to participate in the end-to-end sourcing and execution of deals. In addition, there will be exposure to some post-close engagements in ongoing relationships, and the ongoing processes of the venture group. As a member of Munich Re Ventures, this role will also help develop investment perspectives, market landscaping, and other research. The position is in San Francisco, with frequent travel within the US and internationally.
The Investment Associate will:
- Assist in preliminary due diligence on specific opportunities to assess attractiveness.
- Assist in the preparation of review materials, updates, and investment memos for MRV's governing bodies and the Investment Committee.
- Network externally to generate deal flow and relationships.
- Manage deal tracking and reporting.
- Partner internally with the businesses to understand and inform their strategy, evaluate specific opportunities, and identify specific activities to deliver strategic value.
- Assist in the development of investment thesis in areas of strategic relevance, in collaboration with the businesses and rest of the MRV team.
- Research industry sectors, specific companies, and venture activity.
- Communicate successfully with entrepreneurs, management teams, syndicate partners, and other stakeholders, including attorneys, advisors, consultants, and Board Members.
- Represent Munich Re Ventures at various venture capital, investment, and innovation conferences and topical industry events.
The Person: Successful Candidate
- Strategic Vision & Passion for Creating the Future: To be effective in this role requires gaining an understanding of Munich Re's global insurance and reinsurance businesses, including business models, drivers of economic value, the insurance value chain, competition, risk transfer mechanisms and products, and regulatory environment. Individuals must be able to then build upon this knowledge to envision alternative futures and growth strategies and specific tactical paths to getting there, based on emerging trends, market dynamics, evolving customer needs, and partner opportunities.
- Intellectual Curiosity: Innate and insatiable intellectual curiosity about business, technology, and business models. Active and constant monitoring and engagement with the innovation ecosystem is essential.
- Strong Analytical Skills: Candidates must have requisite financial and investment analysis and research skills.
- Superior Visual & Written Communication Skills: Ability to sift through large quantities of information, both quantitative and qualitative, identify the salient points, and communicate them in the appropriate form in a succinct and elegant story or case.
- Superb Communicator & Relentless Networker: High level of communication, influence, and interpersonal skills to network, navigate, and execute internally with cross-functional teams and externally with multiple stakeholders and partners.
- Disciplined Adaptable Tactician: Strong execution and follow-through in emergent and uncertain situations. The ability to be adaptable and problem-solve in the face of evolving internal and external stakeholder agendas and changing priorities is critical.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- 3+ years of total work experience, including at least 3 months of venture capital experience.
- An educational or professional background in Engineering (Chemical, Industrial, Mechanical, Environmental, etc.).
- Knowledge and fluency in emerging technology and business models in sectors relevant to Munich Re.
- Willingness to travel 15-20% of the time, including internationally.
The base salary range anticipated for this position is $134,900 - $175,000, plus the opportunity for a company bonus based upon a percentage of eligible pay. In addition, the company makes available a variety of benefits to employees, including health insurance coverage, an employee wellness program, life and disability insurance, 401k match, retirement savings plan, paid holidays, and paid time off (PTO).
The salary estimate displayed represents the typical salary range for candidates hired in this position in San Francisco. Factors that may be used to determine your actual salary include your specific skills, how many years of experience you have, and comparison to other employees already in this role. Most candidates will start in the bottom half of the range.