R-LABS is the real estate industry venture builder, and we believe that the best way to predict the future is to help create it. We work alongside entrepreneurs and innovators to identify problems in real estate and co-create purpose-driven companies. Through the science of company building, we’re developing transformative solutions and driving meaningful change through real estate. To support our mission and continued growth, we’re looking for an Investment Associate to join our Investment team.
WHO YOU ARE:
As the Investment Associate, you will join the core team at R-LABS and report directly to the Managing Director, Investment. You will work alongside the Investment, Venture and Finance teams at R-LABS to support the capital and fundraising related activities associated with building new ventures and managing an existing portfolio of venture companies.
You will join a cross-functional team of investment, technology, venture, and operations professionals, serving as a key member responsible for the capital raising and structuring function. You are someone who can leverage your deep finance knowledge with your evaluation and interpersonal skills to bring capital into validated ideas, existing ventures, and R-LABS. You can see the big picture and contribute to strategy discussions while having the drive to roll up sleeves and execute with a team, entrepreneurs, and company leaders on financing strategies.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Support the MD, Investment and CEO in capital raising discussions with global stakeholders, participating in meetings and supporting the development of relevant materials
- Working with R-LABS Team and Entrepreneurs in identifying strategic angel and corporate investors for early stage R-LABS Ventures
- Working with Venture Team and Entrepreneurs in creating pitch decks, supporting and making venture investment presentations with prospective investors
- Manage a CRM & complete investor pipeline reporting
- Building and growing a network of early stage venture investors
- Lead the Investment team role in the review and validation of the new Lab ventures, working in collaboration with entrepreneurs and the Ventures team
- Working with the leadership and teams of existing venture companies to develop strategies and support on execution relating to financing and investment
- Develop relationships with the R-LABS limited partners, which include global leading institutional investors and corporations, to identify specific needs and opportunities
- Relationship management of external investors and partners: angel investors, venture capital firms, banks, industry leaders, and regional economic development organizations
- Effectively manage internal and external service providers including lawyers, consultants, partners and others as necessary both pre and post investment
- Complete new venture investments by successfully progressing decisions and tasks through R-LABS' Venture Process
- Actively project manage ongoing and future transactions across the R-LABS group, including tracking and reporting to the broader team on the status of discussions
- Assist in valuation related work for the existing and new ventures
- Support the existing R-LABS ventures in their capital raising strategy and execution
- Lead the deal structuring and term sheet negotiation to delivery of a signed agreement for new ventures
- Provide guidance and direction to management teams on the preparation of marketing collateral including executive summary, pitch presentation, and business plan
- Work with the leadership and marketing team to develop corporate presentation materials
- Support the development of long term strategic and capital raising activities
- Participate in ideation and innovation sessions to support the development of new venture concepts
- Approach capital raising and corporate development with evidence-based learning
- Develop a deep understanding of the real estate technology sector and the Canadian and global capital landscape
WHAT YOU BRING
- Academic background in Business/Consulting/Finance/Banking/Innovation and equivalent work experience of 5 years. An MBA is helpful but not a requirement.
- You are a results-oriented doer with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- You are confident and flexible as a member of interdisciplinary cross-functional teams where harmonious collaboration and a hands-on attitude are essential, yet also comfortable and disciplined enough to operate with a high degree of autonomy.
- A thoughtful and detailed decision and deal maker who can create win – win conditions for long term success
- You are a self-starter and have experience leading project teams.
- You are motivated by a desire to have an impact.
- Adept at creating powerful narratives, evaluating and valuing business models, and financial modelling
- You have experience raising capital and are comfortable speaking fluently on investment related topics including different investment structure and mechanisms
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to influence to achieve results.
- Comfortable and able to sell ideas to build consensus with partners and investors while encouraging constructive discussions to achieve the best outcome
- Resourceful in research and reaching out. You can find, access, and reach out to key stakeholders to create needed connections.
- Strong in storytelling and you are comfortable facilitating sessions for small and large groups.
- Strong plus: Real estate experience (commercial RE, residential RE, RE development).
- Strong plus: Previous work experience as an Analyst or an Associate at a consulting, banking or venture capital firm.