The Investment Director will be a member of the Investment team, with a primary focus on the Future of Transportation and InsurTech P&C sectors. The role will be responsible for the execution of the LP relationship, investment strategy and playbook for the ERGO Fund and will report directly to the Managing General Partner.
- Network externally to generate deal flow and relationships
- Conduct due diligence, lead negotiation, structuring, and execution of investments
- Develop investment perspectives for areas within the Future of Transportation and InsurTech P&C sectors
- Oversee on-going relationships with portfolio companies to enhance strategic and financial value for LPs and the portfolio companies, including serving as a Board Observer or Director
- Lead and oversee the preparation and review of materials required for the investment committees
- Partner with the VP of Portfolio Development for the ERGO Fund and the broader PD team to engage internally with the LPs businesses to understand and inform their strategy, evaluate opportunities, and identify activities to deliver strategic value
- Negotiate and communicate successfully with entrepreneurs, management teams, syndicate partners, and other stakeholders, including attorneys, advisors, consultants, and Board Members
- Develop and mentor junior investors on the team
- Represent MRV and our LPs at various venture capital, investment, and innovation conferences and topical industry events
The Group: Munich Re Ventures
Munich Re Ventures (MRV) is the venture capital group of Munich Re, the world’s largest reinsurance company, and a leading global provider of primary insurance and insurance-related risk solutions. MRV is a $1B+ platform that is financially driven, while focused on the strategic interests of Munich Re and the broader insurance industry. MRV’s experienced investors work closely with Munich Re Group businesses across the globe to fund and partner with the best emerging companies that are developing new technologies and business models – and risks – for tomorrow’s world. The funds cover a broad set of sectors including: InsurTech, Cybersecurity & Privacy, ClimateTech, Industrial & Equipment Technologies, and the Future of Transportation.
MRV Website: https://www.munichreventures.com/
The Person: Successful Candidate
- Experienced, Methodical Venture Capitalist & Business Developer: Candidates must have requisite financial and investment skills for the venture capital and business development processes, including due diligence, financial analysis, valuation, negotiation, contracts, term sheets LOIs, equity and debt mechanisms, standard terms and deal structures
- Strategic Vision & Passion for Creating the Future: To be effective in this role requires gaining an understanding of the insurance industry and Munich Re’s global insurance and reinsurance businesses, including business models, drivers of economic value, the insurance value chain, competition, risk transfer mechanisms and products, and regulatory environment
- Intellectual Curiosity: This role requires an innate and insatiable intellectual curiosity about business, technology, and business models. Active and constant monitoring and engagement with the innovation ecosystem is essential.
- Superb Communicator & Relentless Networker: The position requires a high level of communication, influence and interpersonal skills in order to network, navigate, negotiate, influence, and execute internally with cross-functional teams and externally with multiple stakeholders and partners. The ability to develop and leverage internal and external global relationships and networks is essential.
- Focused, Persuasive Decision Maker: Of paramount importance in this role is the ability to drive oneself and other parties towards decisions, including participating actively with appropriate courage and candor to accelerate decision making. Clarity and precision in communication is important, tempered by openness and adaptability. This includes maintaining a rational view of specific opportunities and advocating for the development of a broad portfolio.
- Disciplined Adaptable Tactician: This role requires strong execution and follow-through in emergent and uncertain situations. The ability to be adaptable and problem solve in the face of evolving internal and external stakeholder agendas and changing priorities is critical.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- 10 + years of experience, including 7+ years in corporate venture capital or venture capital
- 3+ years of experience sourcing and executing Insurtech P&C and/or Transportation VC investments
- Experienced Board Observer and Director
- Willing to travel up to 40% of the time including internationally
- MBA & German language fluency preferred