The Investment Manager/Director for Hyundai CRADLE Silicon Valley will be part of a Silicon Valley-based team of professionals engaged in aggressive open innovation and venture investment across North America.
You will work in close collaboration with external partners as well as executives and their teams throughout Hyundai Motor Group (HMG). In this role, you will also work closely with your team leader to develop North America collaboration strategies with multiple business divisions that will help bring HMG closer to disruptive and influential start-ups while building a robust portfolio of diverse partnerships and investments that will help drive innovation and future businesses for HMG in the near and long-term.
This role will encompass a broad range of corporate venturing and innovation activity including sourcing startups to execute projects and investments and working to establish and maintain relationships with senior HMG stakeholders as well as external ecosystem partners.
As part of a dedicated Investment team, you would:
- Develop partnering and investment theses for specific technology areas and new business models
- Perform research and analysis of new markets, technologies, and competitive landscapes
- Manage a leads/deals database to accurately track all companies through their lifecycle
- Source, identify, and analyze new partnering and investment opportunities
- Work with internal teams (domestically and in Korea) to facilitate, negotiate and execute collaboration agreements of different types, including PoCs, joint development, commercialization, licensing, etc.
- Lead efforts in due diligence on potential investment opportunities
- Develop and prepare investment materials for the Investment Committee that outline the strategic benefits of investment, financial analysis, commercial partnership terms, investment terms, and other relevant information
- Support, engage, and mentor portfolio companies
- Regularly provide updates to executives and key stakeholders on portfolio health
- Cultivate and leverage relationships with VCs and other ecosystem partners to help identify and source investment opportunities aligned with HMG stakeholder strategic priorities.
- Actively represent Hyundai CRADLE in the venture capital and greater innovation ecosystem
- Assist in facilitating annual internal and external events
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with all key internal and external stakeholders
- Actively develop skills and career trajectory of junior team members
- Recruit new team members as necessary
Experience and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in a technical discipline required
- 10+ years of relevant work experience required
- MBA, strategic consulting, or startup experience preferred
- Minimum of 4 years of recent work experience in Corporate Venture Capital, Venture Capital, or Private Equity
- Proficient at sourcing, identifying, and triaging new partnering and investment opportunities
- Proficient at facilitating, negotiating, and executing collaboration agreements of different types
- Extensive, referenceable network of contacts in the venture capital and corporate venture capital industry
- Experience leading deal due diligence processes, managing teams of functional contributors thru diligence processes
- Positive track record for venture deals
- Clear, strategic thinker
- Understanding of current and emerging issues impacting strategic transactions
- Superior financial analysis skills and acumen
- Deal negotiation experience
- Prior experience in the automotive or transportation industries beneficial
- Clear, strategic thinker
- Proven success managing people and projects, working across teams, and driving performance in a cross-functional environment
- Ability to build relationships of trust and manage professionals in both direct and indirect reporting capacities.
- Presentation and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and persuasively across audiences at varying levels of the organization
- Detail orientated with the ability to quickly identify issues and pro-actively develop a recommended plan of action to address
- Self-starter with the ability to streamline executive decision-making and effectively manage concurrent projects and teams
- Able to travel 10-20% of the time (domestic and international)
- Familiarity and passion for innovative technologies, platforms, and business models
- Must be a self-starter, solutions-oriented, comfortable working with minimal oversight and taking on new tasks on-demand/as needed
- Strong verbal and written communication skills (especially PowerPoint)
- Korean language proficiency is highly beneficial
- The location of the position is in Mountain View, CA.