The LegalTech Fund invests in companies transforming the world of law. Our underlying goal is to partner with fantastic founders building software companies that are changing how organizations, consumers, and law firms interact with the legal system. The companies we invest in sit at the intersection between legal and other verticals like fintech, proptech, govtech, regtech, and insurtech.
We are looking to hire an investor to become a core part of our investment team. This position is initially geared toward those with a couple years of work experience. The investor will have opportunities to grow with the fund as it continues to expand.
What we’re looking for
- You have a strong background and comfort with quantitative analyses and financial modeling. Ideally, you’ve flexed these muscles working in investment banking, management consulting or another investment role. We also appreciate technical expertise (either financially-oriented or otherwise) that you can illustrate with prior projects.
- You can match quantitative insights with qualitative views on a market and its stakeholders. While you may not be an expert on the legal industry, you are capable of interviewing leaders in the field and distilling their expertise into insights on potential investments.
- You are a gifted communicator. You can synthesize qualitative and quantitative analyses and transform them into clear and concise messages about our fund’s theses and potential investments. You can communicate these messages both internally to our investment team and externally to our wider network of readers.
- You are a natural relationship-builder and are excited about developing a strong network of investors, founders, and experts. Founders and stakeholders come away from meetings with you and are excited about the potential of working with The LegalTech Fund.
- You demonstrate a strong track record of owning projects from zero to one. This includes being able to prioritize your workload in an ever-evolving and fast-paced environment. You are constantly thinking about ways to improve our processes and push the firm forward.
What you’ll do
- Find great deals. Our work starts with looking for exciting potential investments within our broader industry. You will spend time meeting with great founders, learning about their businesses, and understanding how our fund can add value to their work.
- Conduct rigorous due diligence. We need to ensure that startups fit the bill for potential investments. You will be evaluating companies that we have the opportunity to invest in, including qualitative (customer and expert interviews, competitive landscaping) and quantitative (financial statement analysis, model building) to analyze opportunities for the fund.
- Understand the industry. As a thematic fund, a core part of our work is developing theses about the market needs of both providers and consumers of legal services. This means conducting market research, interviewing experts, and mapping key sub-sectors and target markets. This information allows us to develop the investment theses and pick companies that are best suited to succeed in the coming decades.
- Write thought leadership. We are stewards for technological innovation within the legal sphere. As a result, you’ll be taking our research and sharing it with our readers and stakeholders in the form of articles, blog posts, podcasts, and other forms of content.
- Support our portfolio. We pride ourselves on rolling up our sleeves and helping our portfolio companies with their day-to-day operations. You’ll be working side-by-side with our founders to ensure we are consistently helping them get closer to their strategic and operational goals.
- Develop our processes. You will be a part of a scrappy and lean team. As a result, you will have the ability to shape the fund’s direction by developing and refining the processes we use to scale our efforts.