Journey Venture Partners, or JVP for short, is a venture capital fund under ASTRALABS and we're recruiting an experienced, full-time Managing Partner to launch our next fund, continue to build our co-investor community, and lead our accelerator/venture fund hybrid model.
The Managing Partner will come in working with an experienced team of 3 Venture Partners, and provided the resources needed to go out and execute. We are an emerging fund with excellent deal flow from Newchip’s early stage accelerator (over 2,000+ graduates per year), and we believe we are only at the beginning of building our story. The Managing Partner will lead the existing team to secure investments for JVP’s general fund and multi asset special purpose vehicles.
We value diversity in our own firm as much as we do in our portfolio companies. We know that cognitive biases and groupthink are culprits of poor investment decision making and we’ve built awareness of both into our investment thesis. We’re seeking a Managing Partner who brings a different perspective to the table and provides complementary strengths to our team.
A successful Managing Partner at Journey Venture Partners will have a history of fundraising from institutional investors and building co-investing opportunities with angel groups, syndication, and will have raised and deployed at least $15M+ in prior or existing funds. As a Managing Partner at JVP, you will lead JVP and report to parent company ASTRALABS CEO and CIO.
This is a unique opportunity where the Managing Partner is provided the infrastructure needed for success. This is a full-time position that will receive a competitive compensation package. Generously starting off with a stipend and converting to full-time salary and benefits (as standard) when the fund closes. We are based in Austin, Texas, but this role has the unique ability to be remote within the United States. You will have the opportunity to collaborate in the vision, structure, and development of the fund. As well as work with an experienced team needed to execute. This is a role for someone that is ambitious and has the tenacity to close. Where when roadblocks arise, you are strategic and resourceful. A strong network and rolodex of LP’s, corporate partners, and institutional investors is required. If you don’t feel confident that you can execute with the resources provided, this role is not for you. We are looking to make this hire by the end of 2022, with a Q1 start date.
We are looking for a true partner to come onboard and help achieve our overall objectives. There is a tremendous ability to craft and provide input to the vision and structure of the fund. These requirements are guidelines, but we will review every application and for the right candidate, will move forward. If you believe you have what it takes to be successful in this role, do not hesitate to apply.
- Core responsibility to successfully fundraise on behalf of the fund
- Craft, collaborate, and lead development structure for fundraising strategies
- Meet, co-establish, and exceed fundraising and deployment goals as established by JVP and Astralabs’ leadership
- Validate investment opportunities for deal execution - end to end ability to negotiate terms, diligence, financial model, and oversee the portfolio
- Provide hands on leadership for all aspects of the investment process
- Maintain meticulous records of all investment activity between founders and investors from origination to exit
- Work with and support portfolio companies, including attending board meetings and monitoring performance to ensure returns and strategic objectives are achieved
- Identifying co-investors to participate in financings for JVP portfolio from our 3000+ investor network
- 6+ years of experience at a venture capital firm, or major corporation venture capital group, with a deep understanding of the early stage venture capital space OR previously raised a $25M fund
- Must have experience raising at least $15M previously
- Must have an extensive rolodex and strong relationships with LPs, institutional investors, partners, and institutions
- Expert in sourcing to exiting investments, including deal analysis, due diligence, financial modeling, reviewing and negotiating all documentation, deal interface, and driving deal process to completion
- You must be energized by fundraising, building relationships, as well as representing JVP’s investment methodology to prospective investors
- Strong ability to think strategically and direct others in solving complex business problems under pressure
- Highly developed analytical skills with ability to define issues, collect and analyze pertinent data, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions, draw valid conclusions, propose sound recommendations, and implement approved solutions in support of specified goals; attention to detail is critical
- Excellent communication skills, including strong writing and the ability to create top-notch presentations and materials that provide business insight that is relevant and digestible to executive decision makers
- Must be based in the United States, and willing and able to travel as needed for fundraising and representation of JVP
- Bonus: Masters degree in finance, business administration, economics or related field
- Bonus: Previous experience as a Founder or Executive at a high growth company
- Bonus: Investment portfolio with exits
- Be a part of a global team with a hybrid in-office and remote culture with a headquarters in East Austin, Texas
- Industry leader in compensation packages including base plus performance incentives, equity, and company stock.
- Fully covered benefits that include medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurances; plus a 401k program.
- Join an active culture and become a pillar in the startup community with weekly team outings and community events.
- Access to all of our accelerator certificate programs if you launch a startup during your career here (valued at $1M+).
- Active culture with a gym at HQ with bouldering, weight gym, classes, yoga, steam-rooms, and showers on-site.
- Unlimited PTO policy, Holidays, Sick Days, and Election Day off.
- Hybrid roles receive up to 60 days of remote work allotment per year at the discretion of your leadership team.
- ClassPass membership gives you worldwide access to thousands of top-rated gyms, fitness studios, salons, and spas.
- Weekly catered lunch on Fridays, as well as unlimited snacks and Starbucks coffee.
- Opportunity to make a meaningful impact in a revolutionary space working with thousands of startups around the globe.