First Round is a seed-stage venture capital firm on a mission to build and serve the world's strongest community of entrepreneurs. Uber, Roblox, Square, and Notion are some of the companies we’ve been fortunate to partner with — and we’re just getting started.
We're looking for an Office and Events Manager to own our San Francisco strategy. This role will be pivotal in supporting our daily operations and managing 2-3 events per week. The ideal candidate will be well-organized, flexible, and enthusiastic about fostering a positive work environment and creating memorable events for our founders, community, and team. This is an in-office position, and applicants must be willing to work on-site.
Your core role as Office & Events Manager will include:
- Managing First Round spaces. Whether it’s our current office or current event space, you’ll take care of everything related to West Coast locations. You’ll hire the right service providers (cleaners, chefs, etc.) to take care of our space. You’ll focus on strategic initiatives (like future locations and office moves) and also focus on the tiny details (like supply and snack restocking.)
- Being the “face of First Round.” You’ll act as the first point of contact for visitors, guests, and employees, offering a warm and professional welcome. You’ll support the Leadership Team with scheduling, administrative tasks, and internal communication as it relates to our San Francisco operations.
- Planning regular events across our teams. In concert with others, you’ll coordinate and execute 2-3 events per week, ranging from internal team meetings to large-scale external gatherings. You will identify and negotiate contracts with vendors, including catering, venue selection, A/V support, and gifts. You’ll be expected to oversee event logistics, ensuring smooth event execution from start to finish. You’ll work with our internal teams to ensure their goals are fully supported, and of course, will track event budgets, NPS, deliver post-event reports, and offer recommendations for future initiatives.
You could be a great Office & Events Manager at First Round if:
- You work well under pressure. You love the thrill of multiple events a week and many different tasks at the same time. You work well with deadlines and can get the job done while staying cool, calm, and collected.
- You move quickly. Early-stage work is fast-paced. You don’t wait to be told what to do, and you have an SLA with yourself around fast response times.
- You are obsessed with details. Maybe you were a former wedding planner or event coordinator. You might be the one organizing group vacations and sending out Venmo requests. You are absolutely on every little detail and your peers and friends comment on your impressive detail-orientation.
- You are comfortable behind the scenes. While we’re looking for someone who is excited to bring our communities together, you are comfortable with playing a behind-the-scenes role to other speakers and presenters.
- You are customer-obsessed. You will make guests feel like a million bucks!
- Try harder for founders. They’re our customers — LPs are our shareholders. Going above and beyond for our founders is what we do. We strive to be a founder's most valuable investor. That’s why we don't pull term sheets, and we're always in for their second round. We respond to their emails in hours, not days. We build candidate pipelines, unprompted. We arrange meal deliveries when they become a new parent. Simply put, we go above and beyond to earn that right to be their first call every time there’s a bump in the road.
- Give your unvarnished opinions and unwavering support. We strive to be kind, not nice. One of the most (counterintuitively) compassionate things you can do is to offer your unvarnished opinion — along with your unwavering support. That willingness to risk a fleeting moment of discomfort in exchange for someone else’s growth is long-term kindness.
- Treat the little things like big things. Everything can always be made better. We’re all about the carefully crafted, the nitty-gritty, and the bespoke. Whether it’s hand cutting each nameplate, or debating the optimal shape of the dinner table, no detail is too small to sweat.
- Make speed a habit. Whatever you’re building, remember that now is better than two weeks from now. We’re fans of starting small and iterating quickly. No matter what we’re launching, you’ll likely hear this question in a meeting: “How soon can we get something out there?”
- Invent and wander. Never stop experimenting. The best ideas are born out of experimentation. Our flagship programs have always come from our penchant for going out on a limb and approaching problems with a different perspective.
- Build wider doorways and longer tables. We're in the business of backing people and betting on their ideas — no matter where they come from. While talent is evenly distributed, opportunity is not. We need to break down barriers in our investment process, and make sure our work doesn’t stop after writing a check. Everything from the composition of our team to the inclusiveness of our community impacts how we can support founders. First Round is dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive workspace. We encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply because we believe that our diverse team helps us build and serve the strongest community of entrepreneurs.
The salary range for this role is $60,000-$80,000. Our talent team is happy to share more details about our total compensation and benefits package.