New Markets Venture Partners is looking for a smart, highly entrepreneurial candidate to help with all aspects of venture capital investing, including sourcing, analyzing, and making investments in our recently launched third education- and workforce-focused fund. The Associate / Senior Associate role requires both analytical and interpersonal skills. The ideal individual will be a self-starter that thrives in an independent, collaborative work environment who possesses the necessary hard skills to execute on a variety of assignments, the maturity and humility to ask questions, and the intellectual curiosity to help the team find the best possible investments and limited partners. The Associate / Senior Associate will also assist with fundraising and enhance the investment operations of the firm by optimizing processes and improving systems as needed. The candidate must also be exceptional at outbound business development and managing relationships with external founders and executives. We strongly encourage diverse candidates to apply.
- Market research and analysis to identify companies and themes to invest in.
- Maintain and update deal flow CRM.
- Proactively source and screen new investment opportunities, support senior partners on priority deals, and schedule and attend company presentations.
- Write investment memos for potential investments, build financial projection models, conduct primary and secondary investment research, and manage due diligence processes.
- Assist in all aspects of fundraising, including researching investors, creating custom presentations, managing fundraising database, developing collateral materials, cold calling, and scheduling meetings.
- Develop relationships with early and growth-stage companies, founders and executives, private investments firms, and investment banks.
- Contribute to quarterly investor reporting by collecting and analyzing monthly financials and impact data from portfolio companies, as well as assisting in quarterly valuation process.
- Collaborate with partners to implement strategies to enhance internal processes and systems.
- 2 – 6 years of relevant industry experience in private equity or venture capital, investment banking, or management consulting.
- Passionate about education or impact investing, preferably with experience in the field.
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate meaningful relationships with entrepreneurs and investors.
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate direct investments in growth-stage companies.
- Excellent record of academic achievement with a degree from a leading university. Bachelor's degree required.
- Strong quantitative skillset, including understanding of accounting principles and finance.
- Financial modeling skills, including Excel proficiency and understanding of capital structures.
- Analytical thinking and problem-solving skills with strong attention to detail.
- Self-starter with business development experience.
- Demonstrated strong written and oral communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Exceptional design and PowerPoint skills.
- High level of maturity and the ability to work as part of a team and unsupervised, coordinating between different partners/managers.
- Strong work ethic and desire to take initiative and ownership.
- Commitment to improving economic mobility, especially for historically disadvantaged groups.
Consistent with federal, state, and local law, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, veteran status, or other protected category.