We are Braven, an early-stage investor that’s built for breakthroughs within large, regulated sectors - finance, healthcare & industrials. We selectively invest in Seed through Series B companies and coordinate the full ecosystem of people and resources needed for each investment’s success. Our dedicated co-build teams augment portfolio company capabilities and create value by derisking execution, accelerating timelines, and unlocking previously inaccessible opportunities. We are looking for passionate Braveneers who bring an ownership mentality and want to be part of building something new and transformative.
We founded Braven with the conviction there are large, underserved opportunities to do good in the world while concurrently earning outsized financial returns and exponential impacts on key industries. As our firm continues to expand, we are seeking a full-time Senior Associate, Life Sciences/Healthcare. This remote position will report directly to William Abecassis, Managing Partner and previous founder of BlackRock's $1B+ venture group. This dynamic role will be primarily focused on initiatives aimed at uncovering extraordinary opportunities to harness technology, revolutionizing the outdated sick-care system and ushering in a new era of affordable, personalized healthcare solutions!
We are pioneering a new model of early stage investing, a hybrid of the best of VC, PE and consulting in which founders, investors, and partners collaborate in unprecedented ways to build and scale early-stage breakthrough companies. At Braven, we don't separate investment and operating roles, but rather seamlessly integrate the two.
The Senior Associate, Life Sciences/Healthcare is a critical position that balances deep focused research before engaging with potential investments followed by an active role in the due diligence, value-add identification, and investment decision-making. Post-investment, the role serves as a strategic consultant for our portfolio companies on a day-to-day basis, proactively identifying areas for improvement, enhancement, or acceleration, engaging advisors and operating partners for execution, as needed. This is an opportunity to join a new early stage investment firm with proven leadership on the ground floor in a role with career growth and advancement opportunities!
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES…
- Collaborate with the Braven teams to plan and execute comprehensive research and analysis. Deliverables include project plans and resource requirements that provide valuable insights for internal teams, potential investors, and founders or prospective founders
- Engage in the investment diligence process, validating opportunities and identifying partners, insights, and expertise necessary to mitigate risks and execute a shared vision
- Partner with our portfolio companies as an internal consultant to "co-build" their groundbreaking ventures by facilitating programs that enhance their strategic initiatives. Orchestrate execution by leveraging the the full scope of Braven capabilities and resources including internal team members, partners and experts
- Execute special projects for the leadership team related to both tactical and strategic initiatives, requiring the ability to research and gather vast amounts of information while synthesizing findings into a robust, insightful viewpoint
- Develop, cultivate, and activate a network of strategic partner institutions (e.g., academic, not-for-profit, biotech, etc.), advisors, operators, innovators, and customers within life sciences. Maintain a proactive pulse on the digital health technology landscape to stay abreast of key developments, innovative ideas, trends, and technologies
RELEVANT EXPERIENCE TO PREPARE YOU FOR THIS OPPORTUNITY:
- 3+ years of experience in a client-facing strategy consulting role on projects focused on technology related to healthcare and/or life sciences. We strongly prefer candidates with consulting experience (Associate, Engagement Manager, Consultant, etc.) at a Life Sciences consulting firm or top strategy firm such as Bain, McKinsey, BCG
- Academic background in public/global health, science, or engineering fields, enabling you to quickly assimilate information and become a credible resource on complex topics within the life sciences and healthcare ecosystems
- Proven expertise in designing scalable playbooks for rapid deployment across various business situations
- Adept at swiftly adapting to new environments with diverse challenges requiring rapid learning and synthesis. Solid track record of high performance and substantial impact through information gathering and analysis, hypothesis formulation and testing, and clear communication of recommendations with the ability to follow through on execution
- Demonstrated ability to manage and drive multiple concurrent initiatives in a dynamic environment, leveraging strong program management skills
- Proficiency in professional communication tools, including exceptional executive-quality presentations using Google Slides, polished formal proposals with Google Docs/Word, and advanced planning and analytical skills employing Google Sheets/Excel
To achieve this mission, we are looking for these attributes in Braveneers:
- Is a courageous teammate, eager to push boundaries and venture into the unknown to achieve exceptional results that others may not have the foresight or ability to envision
- Excels at bringing structure to ambiguity, prioritizing tasks, managing projects, and adopting a results-driven approach to work (testing, measuring, iterating)
- Delivers 10x results by applying systems thinking and data analysis to create massive scale with quality and consistency in a deliberate manner
- Possesses a growth mindset, innate curiosity, and robust problem-solving skills, continuously staying informed about emerging trends to identify potential opportunities
- Has a high EQ, enjoys networking and building relationships with thought-leaders, researchers and practioners in their respective fields
- Leverages exceptional instincts to drive business outcomes and financial results
- Demonstrates the ability to think and operate effectively under high-stress situations.
- Is a creative problem solver who excels at identifying trends and patterns, diagnosing root causes, and employing a diverse toolkit to address those root causes
- Leads by example, instilling a sense of energy, ownership, and personal commitment to work, while exhibiting both diplomatic and directive qualities
ADVANTAGES OF WORKING AT BRAVEN
Braven isn’t built to be the 3,001st US venture firm — we’re built to be the first firm engineered from the ground up to co-build companies tackling what we believe to be the largest and most important opportunity set of the next few decades. Our journey will require capability, grit and courage. We will push ourselves as much as we will push you. Along the way, there are both short term and long term rewards and development opportunities. We also offer the following to all Braven employees:
For Your Prosperity
- Base salary based on experience and aligned to market compensation for similar sized early stage investment firms offering carry (see next bullet)
- Significant upside through participation in success of the fund with carried interest (also called “carry”- similar to equity with significant upside)
- Life Insurance and Short-Term Disability (as well as optional Long Term Disability)
- Complimentary access to SoFi, an online suite of financial tools including educational tools, loan refinancing options, and SoFi invest, with cash back bonuses
- Employee Discount Programs on things like cell phones, restaurants and more
Good Health and Happiness
As an early team member, your input will help us shape what is most valuable for Braven employees’ physical and mental well-being. That said, we believe that we have designed a comprehensive suite of offerings to make sure your physical and mental health are top priorities!
- Medical/dental/vision insurance offerings with some individual options covered 100% by Braven, including full access to:
- Rightway, a dedicated health concierge and personal care navigator that helps employees find care, book appointments, and manage billing and claims
- One Medical, a primary care practice that offers same-day appointments (remotely or in person) that start on time, as well as 24/7 care over Video Chat
- For your mental health and wellbeing, we offer a variety of resources
- Guardian, an Employee Assistance Program that offers a professional counselor to work through a wide variety of personal issues on everyday topics
- Spring Health, offering three complimentary sessions that can include any combination of exercise, digital cognitive behavioral therapy and more
- Paid holidays and flexible time off as needed. This is sometimes called “Unlimited PTO”; we don’t have a set amount of days you are able to take off but rather expect you to manage your well-being by taking time off as needed while also successfully performing your role
- Coaching and mentoring, continuous education and opportunities to engage with exceptional colleagues both at Braven and in our larger community, including visionary founders harnessing technology to change the world
At Braven, we believe our biggest asset is our people. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, hiring and developing individuals from diverse backgrounds and experiences to add to our collaborative culture. Braven treats all candidates and employees with respect and does not discriminate in our recruiting, hiring, and promoting processes, including based on race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, veteran status, or disability.