M12 is the corporate venture capital arm of Microsoft focused on early-stage investments spanning Vertical SaaS, AI, Cloud Infrastructure, Cybersecurity, Developer Tools, and Web3/Gaming. We’re honored to have backed teams at over 120 companies since launching the fund in 2016 and continue to support them with value-added resources through access to Microsoft’s ecosystem. M12 is headquartered in San Francisco and Seattle.
In this role, you will be part of a small team responsible for driving strategic partnerships and business development for our fast-growing portfolio of startups. You’ll identify, develop, and execute on business strategy initiatives and programs with a focus on delivering joint commitment and mutual success for Microsoft and our portfolio. Our team develops internal stakeholder relationships across the company to uncover opportunities and align investments.
As a Senior Portfolio Development Manager M12, you will help our portfolio companies leverage the full range of Microsoft’s assets and ecosystem resources to accelerate their growth. This will be accomplished by developing a detailed understanding of the companies‘ needs and opportunities, and aligning those to Microsoft’s strategic initiatives, internal product teams, and customer priorities. You will work as an extension of our companies on topics ranging from channel sales and product development to co-marketing strategies. Our team forms close relationships with our founders and executive teams to help them in their journeys. Successful execution in this role is what will help distinguish our team from other venture funds and corporate investors.
This role will be focused on supporting M12’s existing and future portfolio companies in our Vertical SaaS, AI, Cybersecurity thesis areas. This includes using your knowledge in at least one of these areas, along with Microsoft’s products and services, to work with teams across Microsoft and M12 to develop impactful partnerships and support for our portfolio companies. In this role you will also work closely with M12’s Vertical SaaS, AI, and Cybersecurity investment teams to evaluate the strategic engagement potential between prospective startups and Microsoft.
Working at M12, you will gain invaluable exposure to the startup ecosystem and learn how companies are built at different stages. You will also develop skills and knowledge about the world of venture capital and get experience working across a variety of teams and functions at Microsoft. Over time, someone in this role will establish an extensive network of connections both externally and internally. Our team members benefit from a nimble and innovative environment, constantly learning about new technology categories and trends, while being entrepreneurial and creative in bringing value to our startups and Microsoft.
We place a premium on diversity of ideas and are excited to add new perspectives to our team. We value accountability, continuous learning, creative thinking, inclusiveness, teamwork, transparency, and trust.
This is a full-time position based in Redmond, Washington or San Francisco, California. This role requires some time in the office each week and typically involves 10% travel throughout the year.
- 8+ years partner management, business development, engineering, venture capital, product management, corporate strategy, consulting or partner channel development in the technology industry
- OR Bachelor's degree in Marketing, Business Operations, Computer Science, Engineering, or related field AND 4+ years partner management, business development, engineering, venture capital, product management, corporate strategy, consulting or partner channel development in the technology industry.
- 6+ years of relevant professional experience with exposure to and/or knowledge of the startup and venture ecosystem
Additional or Preferred Qualifications
- Experience working at a startup and/or with entrepreneurs, especially in vertical SaaS, AI, or cybersecurity.
- An understanding of how large corporate enterprises operate (e.g., processes, systems, and strategies).
- Experience in at least one of the following: structuring partnerships, defining go-to-market strategies, leading new programs/projects, or delivering insights to senior executives.
- Experience with channel partnerships, cloud marketplaces, and ecosystem product integrations.
- Consulting experience working with enterprise clients or partners.
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills, including synthesizing complex information.
- Experience working on projects related to corporate innovation and incubation.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft's platforms and processes, including product and partner strategies.
Portfolio Development IC4 - The typical base pay range for this role across the U.S. is USD $101,200 - $194,800 per year. There is a different range applicable to specific work locations, within the San Francisco Bay area and New York City metropolitan area, and the base pay range for this role in those locations is USD $130,000 - $213,200 per year.
Certain roles may be eligible for benefits and other compensation. Find additional benefits and pay information here: https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/us-corporate-pay
- Developing in-depth knowledge of the portfolio companies’ business models and priorities, including growth and sales strategies, technical roadmaps, marketing moments, and market positioning.
- Working with Vertical SaaS, AI, and Cybersecurity portfolio companies to translate their business and product goals into successful partnerships with Microsoft and our ecosystem of customers and partners.
- Building relationships with thesis stakeholders across Microsoft and its subsidiaries (Business Development Engineering, Product, Sales, Corporate Strategy, Microsoft for Startups), sharing new product releases, industry announcements, programs, and strategies with M12 and our portfolio companies.
- Experimenting with new ideas, programs, and projects that innovate how we support our portfolio companies and deliver more value at scale.
Core skills, knowledge, and abilities that will make someone successful in this role:
- Influence: Ability to influence and drive results in a complex technical and business environment, including various stakeholders across functions (such as engineering, business development, marketing, sales, services, finance, and legal). Learn to additionally influence external stakeholders across corporate and partner organizations.
- Execution: Track record of owning projects or programs from early concept design through launch and tracking performance. This includes defining objectives, measuring key results, and communicating progress effectively.
- Collaboration: Demonstrated work experience with cross-disciplinary teams to drive key partnership and business development initiatives from creation to implementation with internal and external stakeholders.
- Entrepreneurial: Demonstrated passion for using creativity, exploring new ideas, and experimenting with innovative, outside-the-box approaches.
- Customer Empathy: Demonstrates a customer- and partner-first mindset and knowledge of technology, startups, and corporate innovation to engage senior executives and drive results for our companies and Microsoft.
- Motivated to work in ambiguity and take initiative to identify opportunities, develop plans, and drive projects to completion. Experience proactively managing several priorities and deadlines towards an end goal.
- Technical: Some knowledge of specific verticals, AI, or cybersecurity concepts with an understanding of relevant industry trends, themes, and products.
- Analytical: Proficient critical thinking and strategic analysis ability with a desire to solve difficult problems, apply frameworks, and connect dots that aren’t immediately visible.
- Curiosity: Drive to learn, understand and grasp new concepts, and to seek out logical solutions with a willingness to adapt and change your point of view.
- Ethics and Integrity: Track record of operating with honesty, inclusiveness, respect, and accountability. Consistently practices and upholds shared team values.
• Embody our Culture and Values