The Startup Sourcing Scout will help source promising founders across the world for the Techstars Accelerator programs. There is also a special focus on finding diverse founders for our DEI (Diversity, Equity, Inclusion) focused programs. The role will be responsible for communicating inbound/outbound with founders, attending/hosting virtual events, and understanding the needs of the previously overlooked or underestimated founder community. This role reports to the Director of Pipeline and works on the Global Digital Marketing team.
What You Will Do:
- Inbound lead generation: find and invite Founders from list-building tools like Pitchbook and Crunchbase
- Inbound lead management: vet and screen entrepreneurs on a daily basis that come in via multiple platform
- Part of the startup sourcing will be for underrepresented founders for our DEI initiatives
- Host Office Hours (one-one-one meetings) for founders and provide startup advice
- Host events for founders on the topics of: accelerators, pitching, fundraising, building a startup, mental health, talent/hiring, importance of DEI, etc. – via Zoom, Twitter Spaces, LinkedIn, and others
- Build relationships with pre-accelerators, accelerators, and organizations focused on DEI
- Build relationships with Techstars Managing Directors and their teams
- Attend virtual pitch competitions and tech conferences (sometimes in-person). ie, TechCrunch Disrupt, Web Summit, SoGal) to network with founders and identify startups for our accelerators.
- Create engaging thought leadership content (social media posts, blog posts online, etc…) to attract new founders to Techstars
- Increase the percentage of founders that apply and get accepted to Techstars
- Increase the percentage of diverse founders that apply and get accepted to Techstars
What You Bring To The Role:
- 3-5 years of experience in an entrepreneurship related environment.
- You have a deep understanding of, empathy for, and experience with, the zero-to-one entrepreneurial process - you quite likely have 1) been a co-founder or early employee at a startup company and have ideally been involved with a successful fundraise or two, or 2) have prior early-stage tech investing experience
- Strong understanding of what makes for a great startup team
- Knowledge and interest in the startup ecosystem and investment trends
- Unlimited capacity for and enjoyment of networking with people from all walks of life
- Track record of building global networks
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Clear and articulate communication skills and the ability to effectively drive conversations
- Proactive and fearless, moves beyond their comfort zone in pursuit of the organization’s vision
The Techstars worldwide network helps entrepreneurs succeed. Founded in 2006, Techstars began with three simple ideas—entrepreneurs create a better future for everyone, collaboration drives innovation, and great ideas can come from anywhere. Now we are on a mission to enable every person on the planet to contribute to, and benefit from, the success of entrepreneurs. In addition to operating accelerator programs and venture capital funds, we do this by connecting startups, investors, corporations, and cities to help build thriving startup communities. Techstars has invested in more than 3,000 companies that today have a combined market cap valuation of $96.6 Billion. www.techstars.com
Techstars is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, national origin, religion, physical or mental handicaps or disabilities, marital status, Veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity nor any other basis prohibited by law.
Techstars uses E-Verify to check the work authorization of all new hires. For more information about E-Verify, please see the following: