MetaProp is a New York-based venture capital firm focused on the real estate technology (“PropTech”) industry. Founded in 2015, MetaProp’s investment team has invested in 135+ technology companies across the real estate value chain. The firm manages multiple funds for both financial and strategic real estate investors that represent a pilot- and test-ready sandbox of 20+ billion square feet across every real estate asset type and global market. The firm’s investment activities are complemented by pioneering community leadership including the PropTech Place innovation hub, MetaProp Accelerator at Columbia University programs, global events NYC Real Estate Tech Week and Propel by MIPIM NYC, and publications Global PropTech Confidence Index and PropTech 101.
- Build your investment track record as a member of PropTech’s leading venture capital firm.
- Gain valuable experience and build relationships across the venture capital, technology, and real estate industries.
- Help execute MetaProp’s early stage venture capital investment program.
- Grow your career with a dynamic team, a flexible remote-first culture, and access to a fabulous New York City office location.
The Associate position is an opportunity to join the most prolific investment team in one of tech’s fastest growing and most dynamic sectors.
You will be an integral member of a small, fast-paced investment team working on some of the most exciting deals in the PropTech market. You will work closely with the investment partnership and broader investment team to help execute all aspects of MetaProp’s early stage strategy deal process and fund operations, with a particular focus on deal diligence and sourcing.
It is a unique opportunity to work on the frontlines of venture investing, deepen deal and operational experience, build sector knowledge, work with talented entrepreneurs, other VCs, limited partners, real estate industry executives, and other constituents in the PropTech ecosystem. While your primary responsibilities will be deal-related, you will also contribute to portfolio management, fund operations, and administration.
The ideal candidate is passionate and savvy about all things tech and venture investing. A true deal junky at heart and a close follower of the PropTech and broader venture investment landscape. You love digging into the details of a prospective investment opportunity but never lose the forest for the trees. You have a collegial demeanor but a serious competitive streak.
We are a fast-paced, high performance team. We thrive as individuals but love collaboration. Someone with limitless curiosity for the ever-evolving PropTech world would fit in well. This specific position is particularly well suited to a candidate who has particular strength in finance, operations, due diligence, and research.
- Due Diligence: Identify and diligence investment opportunities, including meeting with entrepreneurs, understanding existing and new markets and competitive dynamics, analyzing business and financial models as well as business strategy and operational plans, and conducting reference checks. Strong attention to detail and project management are table stakes here but most crucial is your deal judgement. We’re counting on you to spot and parse market trends, analyze competitive dynamics, evaluate elite human capital, and have an instinctual feel for business metrics and mechanics in order to help us identify the small number of investment opportunities each year that will drive outsized value creation. We do not always need to have identical deal taste (it may well be better if we don’t!) but we expect you to have outstanding deal judgement and relish the opportunity to present and advocate for your point of view.
- Deal Analysis: Contribute heavily to the analysis and presentation of new and follow-on financing opportunities, including formulating investment memos, modeling cap table scenarios, and tracking fund-level performance.
- Deal Sourcing: Ensure that our deal flow remains the best in the business by contributing to existing internal efforts, leveraging our firm’s considerable resources, leading new creative and proactive sourcing strategies, generating individual deal flow, and cultivating your unique networks and deal flow channels.
- Portfolio Support: Work with portfolio companies on key issues. Coordinate and expand MetaProp’s network of portfolio support resources by facilitating and analyzing portfolio communications and value add.
- Community Engagement: Represent MetaProp at industry events, bringing new entrepreneurs into the firm’s network, and generally keeping a pulse on the PropTech community.
- Thought Leadership: Further MetaProp’s position as a thought leader in the PropTech market by contributing to thesis development and authoring and publishing market research and opinion publications.
- Venture Platform Building and Execution: Continue to build out and evolve MetaProp’s investment and internal procedures, tools, and models based on experience and best practices.
- Investor Relations & Fundraising: Contribute to investor reporting, events, and fundraising efforts.
- 1–3 years of venture capital experience. Additional relevant experience may include consulting, banking, limited partner fund investing, private equity investing, or similar experience, and/or operations experience in a leadership position at a startup.
- Track record of success sourcing and evaluating venture capital investments into fast growing early-stage technology companies.
- Exceptional deal instincts. You recognize a high quality startup and investment opportunity when you see one. Equally importantly, you get right to the point in a diligence process, focusing on what matters most to the evaluation of the opportunity, thoughtfully investigating those issues and generating insightful conclusions. It’s reasonable to assume that your judgement has often been praised throughout your career to date.
- You love thinking about fast-moving technology markets. Their drivers, dynamics, where they’re heading, who’s up, who’s down, who’s coming up and why. You’re a junky for this stuff, as evidenced by the comprehensive you synthesize evolving market opportunities and competitive landscapes.
- You are well-versed in and savvy about the venture capital ecosystem. You follow the firms, individual investors and important trends within the space, understand the industry at both high theoretical and on-the-ground practical levels and are forming a viewpoint regarding what it takes for a firm and an individual to be successful within it.
- Robust and growing network within the venture capital and startup ecosystems. Your peers within the investment community and founders view you as a rising star.
- Passionate (borderline obsessive) about tech-enabled businesses and helping to grow early-stage startups. You always have deals in your back pocket and compelling rationales for why they would make attractive investments.
- Able to develop and defend a point of view. Not afraid to stand out from a crowd and advocate for a perspective once you’ve put in the work. Innovative thinker with outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrate strong quantitative and analytical skills – you can build financial models and navigate large datasets with ease, and can distill the key points to tell a story.
- Commitment to diversity. It’s important to us and it should be important to you too. We’re continually looking for ways to help our firm and our peers take a leadership role in shaping a more inclusive industry and we want every member who joins our team to help further this goal.
- A self-starter with a track record of over-delivering. We are a high throughput team filled with folks who consistently go the extra mile and are proud to consistently attract folks who meet the same high bar.
- Consistent, organized learner – you are insatiably curious and love diving into a new challenge or subject area and approach it with both intrigue and rigor.
- Strong project management, organizational and systems creation skills.
- MBA, technical, or similar degree with a record of achievement.
Email email@example.com with a brief email (500 words in total) telling us (1) why your experiences will uniquely help you excel as an Associate at MetaProp, and (2) about one early-stage PropTech startup (not currently in the MetaProp portfolio) that you think we should invest in and why. Please attach your resume and list “Venture Capital Associate” in the subject line. We’ll be in touch if there’s a fit.