9Yards Capital is a multi-stage venture fund primarily focused on growth investments in fintech and logistics. 9Yards was founded in 2019 and has quickly grown to over $1.5B in AUM with partners in San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York and London. 9Yards aims to be a strategic capital partner through our unique political and regulatory perspectives, broad international presence and deep connectivity into one of the country’s largest private enterprises.
9Yards is investing out of it’s second fund, which is backed by prominent institutional money managers, endowments and sophisticated family offices. We run a concentrated portfolio of 10-12 investments into companies that we consider category leaders. 9Yards has a flexible capital mandate that allows us to support companies throughout their full life cycle and hold in the public markets. Our team has backed over 60 transformative businesses to date including Robinhood, Chainalysis, Better, Remote, Gusto, Carta, Toast, Emerge, KeepTruckin, Deliverr and many more.
9Yards is looking for an exceptional person to join our tight-knit team in our Los Angeles office as an Associate. This position is available for an immediate start. This Associate will work with the entire partnership and focus on both fintech and logistics investments across stage.
We are specifically looking for a highly entrepreneurial candidate with 1-3 years of investment banking or management consulting experience with an excellent academic record from a top undergraduate school. We are looking for someone that is an entrepreneurial, creative, self-starter with strong commercial instincts and outstanding interpersonal and analytical skills. Ideal candidate will be comfortable in a relatively unstructured office environment and have a strong network in tech / venture.
- Due Diligence: You will spend the majority of your time diligencing opportunities for investment. This includes preparing an informed view and key questions ahead of management calls, managing all steps of the diligence process, building financial models, analyzing customer data, conducting diligence calls, preparing investment memos and presenting findings to the team.
- Ideation & Support: You will support partners in sourcing new opportunities, developing viewpoints on markets, landscaping different sectors and gathering insights from your network. You will work with partners to develop relationships with management teams, both pre- and post-investment.
- Brand Building: You will support the entire team in building the 9Yards brand, which includes published written work, preparing newsletters, organizing events and thinking creatively about how to push 9Yards forward.
- Minimum of 1–3 years of relevant experience, including investment banking, consulting, private equity, or VC.
- Ability to self-direct, analyze, evaluate, and form perspective around companies on the fly.
- Exceptional organizational skills and strong attention to detail.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, while also being assertive.
- Excellent analytical, writing, and quantitative skills.
- Superior experience with financial modeling and quantitative analysis.
- Authentic passion for technology industries and deep respect for entrepreneurship.
- Ability to thrive in an unstructured environment with incomplete data.
- Commitment to honesty and holding yourself accountable to the highest standards.
- Compensation is market competitive
- The role is designed as a two-year position for pre-graduate school professionals
- There is the opportunity for this to be Principle-track with strong performance
Our process starts with having candidates submit short written answers to the questions below along with their resume to the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Question 1: Why are you interested in the associate role at 9Yards? [max 150 words]
- Question 2: What is the most compelling industry/theme for investment? [max 250 words]
- Question 3: What is a growth-stage company we should evaluate for investment and why? [max 500 words
- Question 4: What is something unique about your background or upbringing that we may not know about that might contribute to you being good at this job? [max 150 words]
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis with strong candidates already in the pipeline. We will formally close all applications by October 1, 2021. Do not hesitate to apply and join the next great venture franchise!