Divergent Capital is kicking off our second annual fellowship program. We are looking for passionate and driven students to join us in a year-long shadow program to gain hands-on experience in venture capital and startups. The fellowship will run from October 2022 to May 2023.
WHO WE ARE
Divergent Capital is an early-stage venture fund backing technical and scientific founders. We are industry and geographic agnostic. We are interested in technological innovations such as ML/AI, advanced manufacturing, robotics, AR/VR, material science, FinTech, and biology across sectors like consumer, industrial, transportation, healthcare, and education.
Led by two incredible and experienced female operators and investment managers, Lucy Wang and Katie Shea, Divergent Capital invests in pre-seed startups with high technical and business model risks to capture the most value in a space where most investors shy away from. We are no-FOMO, first check writers. We lead our investments with high conviction in groundbreaking companies by relying on our diverse experience, deep research, and primary due diligence. We don’t make decisions based on pattern matching.
Our track record speaks for our performance and some of our historical investments and current portfolio include Machina Labs, Remedy Robotics, Bombas, Covariant AI, EasyKnock, Possible Finance, Self, Immuta and ClearGraph. You can also learn more about our portfolio companies here.
DIVERGENT FELLOWSHIP GOALS
- Have boots on the ground to assist Divergent in sourcing from different regions.
- Track and discover research projects in universities before they spin out into companies.
- Identify promising technical founders before they begin their founder’s journey.
- Develop expertise in domain areas with smart students that we can tap into for diligence.
- Stay on top of scientific and technological trends that are under development.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU
- Gain hands-on experience in venture capital and startups.
- Learn to develop investment thesis, evaluate deals, and source promising startups.
- Shadow our partners in founder calls and work alongside them in due diligence.
- Join a network of incredibly intelligent and driven individuals across the country.
- Develop in-depth understanding of various industries and trends.
- Access to exciting opportunities outside of school that are hard to come by.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
At Divergent, we firmly believe that the most valuable perspectives can come from the least expected voices.
- We seek intellectually curious contrarians who are constantly questioning the status quo, and self-driven truth-seekers who go out of their way to look for answers. Your background doesn’t matter to us — we are excited to work with fellows from all walks of life and educational backgrounds.
- Divergent Capital Fellowship is the beginning of your relationship with us, the right candidate will be able to bring unique perspectives, learn quickly as we collaborate, and ultimately graduate as a member our extended network as you move on to work on amazing things.
- All undergraduate and graduate students are welcome and no previous venture experience is required.
Duration and Commitment
- 8 month’s long from October 2022 to May 2023 with optional break during the winter holiday season.
- Estimated time commitment is ~10 hours/week. A minimum of 5 hours/week is expected.
- Participate in internal deal meetings, pitch meetings, and diligence calls.
- Develop and iterate on a thesis in a chosen domain/industry throughout the program.
- Source founders, research projects, and startups from within universities and support diligence on these opportunities.
- Participate in community events, roundtable discussions, and online conversations.
- You’ll have the autonomy to work on things that excite you, such as discovering industry trends, diving into specific domain areas, and sourcing for deals that align with the Divergent thesis.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for additional inquiries and accommodation requests.
Application is now open and will close in late September. We are reviewing candidates on a rolling basis.