Red Cedar Ventures (RCV) is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Michigan State University Foundation (MSUF). Founded in 2014, RCV is proud to be the first venture fund in Mid-Michigan. RCV’s objective is to help accelerate commercialization of startups emanating from MSU and ecosystem partners. Our vision is to be a leading midwestern venture fund providing economic impact with new technology companies, well-paying jobs and value-added partnerships. Red Cedar Ventures manages three funds: Red Cedar Pre-Seed Fund assists MSU related companies with early-stage funding. Capital and support are provided to start-ups for company formation, minimal viable product, customer pilots and attain other milestones needed to position them for seed financing.
Michigan Rise Pre-Seed Fund is administered by the MSU Foundation on behalf of the state of Michigan, through which the Red Cedar Ventures team assist statewide companies at pre-seed and seed stages. Through investment tranches, funds are provided for start-ups to move beyond a minimal viable product, develop product market fit, hire core team members, and attain other
milestones needed to position them for venture financing.
The MSU Foundation and Red Cedar Ventures are affirmative action, equal-opportunity employers.
Red Cedar Opportunity Fund is a later-stage fund that provides additional funding and support as portfolio companies become de-risked and seek venture funding to scale. RCV provides many resources in addition to funding to help launch entrepreneurial ventures including ongoing coaching, board participation, commercial/market assessment, access to our network, consulting on overall strategy and execution, and MSU related partnership opportunities.
The Venture Analyst is expected to assist the RCV Director and Venture Associates in accomplishing its mission to invest and commercialize diverse technologies and create a “best in class” organization. In this role, the Analyst is expected to help with the following:
• Pipeline – Screen inbound leads from entrepreneurs and ecosystem partners.
• Diligence - Prepare and present investment memos for new and follow-on investments based on primary and secondary research.
• Financial Analysis - Prepare valuations for current and pipeline opportunities including DCF, public and private comparable valuations and transaction analysis.
• Portfolio Management - Monitor current investments and portfolio performance via regular valuations, cap table and waterfall analysis and tracking company performance. Review and help update pitch decks for pipeline and portfolio companies.
• Reporting and Compliance - Assist Director and Venture Associates with internal compliance and reporting functions. Update internal and external data bases including Pitchbook and Crunchbase.
• Industry Research - Actively read and seek out new information sources to stay abreast of industry trends. Prepare analyses and research summaries for the RCV team.
The candidate will need to have a passion for innovation, and an appreciation for the enterprise of venture creation and investment. Critical competencies, qualities and experiences:
The MSU Foundation and Red Cedar Ventures are affirmative action, equal opportunity employers.
• At least one-year prior experience in venture capital, investment banking, management consulting or corporate finance.
• Bachelor's degree in finance, business or related field.
• Previous exposure to valuation modeling (LBOs, liquidation waterfalls, cap tables, DCF, etc.)
• High level of proficiency in Excel.
• Strong passion for quantitative and qualitative evaluation of investment opportunities.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Strong written and interpersonal communication skills.
• Strong aptitude for logical thinking.
• Commitment to professional ethics.
• Strong sense of urgency and self-motivation.
• A curious mind and interest in value accretion for pre-seed and seed stage companies across sectors including life sciences and information technology.
• Open-minded, collegial, and able to develop relationships and network based on trust, confidence, and respect.
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize work accordingly to meet critical deadlines.
• Can work independently and with confidence to take initiative and be proactive.
• Exercise sound judgment and discretion especially when handling confidential and sensitive data.
• Demonstrable ties to the state of Michigan and desire for a long-term career with Red Cedar Ventures.