We are Braven, an early-stage investor built for breakthroughs within large, regulated sectors – finance, healthcare & industrials. We selectively invest in Seed through Series B companies and coordinate the full ecosystem of people and resources needed for each investment’s success. Our dedicated co-build teams augment portfolio company capabilities and create value by derisking execution, accelerating timelines, and unlocking previously inaccessible opportunities. We are pioneering a new model of early-stage investing, a hybrid of the best of VC, PE and consulting in which founders, investors, and partners collaborate in unprecedented ways to build and scale early-stage breakthrough companies. We are looking for passionate individuals who bring an ownership mentality and want to be part of building something new and transformative.
We founded Braven with the conviction that there are large, underserved opportunities to do good in the world while concurrently earning outsized financial returns and exponential impacts on key industries. As our firm expands, we are launching our second Fellowship program focused on Life Sciences/Healthcare. This dynamic fellowship will primarily focus on initiatives to uncover extraordinary opportunities to harness technology, revolutionizing the outdated sick-care system and ushering in a new era of affordable, personalized healthcare solutions!
The role will report directly to William Abecassis, Managing Partner and previous founder of BlackRock’s $1B+ venture group. You will also work closely with Dr. Sean Khozin, Senior Life Sciences and Healthcare Partner, who is a pioneer in life science development and data science, including his experience at CancerLinQ, J&J, and the FDA. Additionally, you will collaborate with other Senior Partners, Braveneers, strategic advisory board members, and founders.
The Fellow, Life Sciences/Healthcare is a critical position that balances deep focused research before engaging with potential investments followed by an active role in the due diligence, value-add identification, and supporting our early-stage portfolio companies. This is an opportunity to join a new early stage investment firm with proven leadership on the ground floor in a role with career growth and advancement opportunities!
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES…
- Collaborate with the Braven teams to plan and execute comprehensive research and analysis. Deliverables include project plans and resource requirements that provide valuable insights for internal teams, potential investors, and founders or prospective founders
- Engage in the investment diligence process, validating opportunities and identifying partners, insights, and expertise necessary to mitigate risks and execute a shared vision
- Execute special projects for the leadership team related to both tactical and strategic initiatives, requiring the ability to research and gather vast amounts of information while synthesizing findings into a robust, insightful viewpoint
- Support our portfolio companies as an internal consultant to “co-build” their groundbreaking ventures by facilitating programs that enhance their strategic initiatives.
- As a small firm you will be exposed to many of the other facets of the firm; one note is that this role will not be responsible for any sourcing of companies in a traditional sense. Our deeply researched thesis basis approach focuses more on precision outreach
RELEVANT EXPERIENCE TO PREPARE YOU FOR THIS FELLOWSHIP:
- For this role, we require both the science background and the understanding of commercial environment (including payers, etc) as we are investing specifically in technology system innovations in life sciences and healthcare
- 18 months+ of experience in a client-facing strategy consulting role on companies/ sectors requiring system innovations in healthcare and/or life sciences (vs purely science type projects/biotech). We strongly prefer candidates with consulting experience (Associate, Engagement Manager, Consultant, etc.) at a Life Sciences consulting firm or top strategy firm such as Bain, McKinsey, BCG
- Academic background in science, public/global health, or engineering fields, enabling you to quickly assimilate information and become a credible resource on complex topics within the life sciences and healthcare ecosystems
- Adept at swiftly adapting to new environments with diverse challenges requiring rapid learning and synthesis. Solid track record of high performance and substantial impact through information gathering and analysis, hypothesis formulation and testing, and clear communication of recommendations with the ability to follow through on execution
- Proven expertise in designing scalable playbooks for rapid deployment across various business situations; Demonstrated ability to manage and drive multiple concurrent initiatives in a dynamic environment, leveraging strong program management skills
- Proficiency in professional communication tools, including exceptional executive-quality presentations using Google Slides, polished formal proposals with Google Docs/Word, and advanced planning and analytical skills employing Google Sheets/Excel
To achieve this mission, we are looking for these attributes in Braveneers:
- Is a courageous teammate, eager to push boundaries and venture into the unknown to achieve exceptional results that others may not have the foresight or ability to envision
- Excels at bringing structure to ambiguity, prioritizing tasks, managing projects, and adopting a results-driven approach to work (testing, measuring, iterating)
- Delivers 10x results by applying systems thinking and data analysis to create massive scale with quality and consistency in a deliberate manner
- Possesses a growth mindset, innate curiosity, and robust problem-solving skills, continuously staying informed about emerging trends to identify potential opportunities
- Has a high EQ, enjoys networking and building relationships with thought-leaders, researchers and practioners in their respective fields
- Leverages exceptional instincts to drive business outcomes and financial results
- Demonstrates the ability to think and operate effectively under high-stress situations.
- Is a creative problem solver who excels at identifying trends and patterns, diagnosing root causes, and employing a diverse toolkit to address those root causes
- Leads by example, instilling a sense of energy, ownership, and personal commitment to work, while exhibiting both diplomatic and directive qualities
ADVANTAGES OF WORKING AT BRAVEN
Braven isn’t built to be the 3,001st US venture firm — we’re built to be the first firm engineered from the ground up to co-build companies tackling what we believe to be the largest and most important opportunity set of the next few decades. Our journey will require capability, grit and courage. We will push ourselves as much as we will push you. Along the way, there are both short term and long term rewards and development opportunities. We also offer the following to Fellows:
- Monthly salary between $5,000 – $7,000/month based on capabilities, skills and experience
- Complimentary access to SoFi, an online suite of financial tools including educational tools, loan refinancing options, and SoFi invest, with cash back bonuses
- Employee Discount Programs on things like cell phones, restaurants and more
- Paid holidays and flexible time off as needed. This is sometimes called “Unlimited PTO”; we don’t have a set amount of days you are able to take off but rather expect you to manage your well-being by taking time off as needed while also successfully performing your role
- Coaching and mentoring, continuous education and opportunities to engage with exceptional colleagues both at Braven and in our larger community, including visionary founders harnessing technology to change the world
At Braven, we believe our biggest asset is our people and strive to hire the top 0.1% of candidates. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, hiring and developing individuals from diverse backgrounds and experiences to add to our collaborative culture. Braven treats all candidates and employees with respect and does not discriminate in our recruiting, hiring, and promoting processes, including based on race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, veteran status, or disability.