Shell Ventures (SV) is Shell's corporate venture capital group. The goal of SV is to make minority investments in early-stage companies relevant to Shell’s current and future businesses and customers. SV invests in promising companies that want to solve the world's existing and future energy and mobility demands. SV plays a pivotal role in leading Shell through the energy and digital transformations in the coming decades and we have a clear ambition to grow.
As SV grows its presence in China, we are recruiting a Venture Principal to join our Beijing office. This is an exciting role for a seasoned innovation and venture investment professional to be a bridge between Shell and startups in the renewable/advanced energy, future mobility, and IT/Digital arenas.
Our team is looking to add an exceptional commercial professional at the Venture Principle level. This person is generally the Commercial Lead in the deal team with significant responsibility to support investment decisions through the entire venture capital lifecycle: evaluate prospective companies, work closely with Shell technical and business units across Shell to assess strategic value, lead and manage due diligence, and be an instrumental part of the core investment team. The role also has a significant external focus. Shell Ventures interacts extensively in the external innovation ecosystem, including other corporate and independent VC firms, accelerators, start-ups, and scale-ups.
· Source investment opportunities through your network that have the potential to transform energy and transportation markets
· Evaluate and recommend potential portfolio companies basing decisions on key qualitative and quantitative analysis
· Remain up to date with external developments and trends in venture capital developments and practices. Stay in tune with the innovation ecosystem, including new technologies, market developments, new investment products, the startup world, and other macro-economic trends
· Construct sectors landscaping and market analysis report base on investment thesis and strategy, validate strategic relevance of investments and information technology and business innovation strategy
· Perform due diligence and develop the strategic investment case, including assessment of the value of the solution to Shell in close collaboration with Shell businesses and technology groups. Lead virtual Shell deal teams including representatives from various functional support groups including finance, legal, etc
· Structure and negotiate the terms of the investments (SV leads investments and follows other VCs depending on deal dynamics). Validate and structure collaboration opportunities (e.g. joint development agreements, licensing, demonstration projects, investments, JV’s) that accelerate the deployment of technologies in Shell operations
· Build a network internal to Shell including Shell R&D departments and business units to source opportunities, validate strategic relevance of investments, and information technology and business innovation strategy
· Position Shell as a world-class corporate investment partner for startups and VCs
· Be a credible and compelling spokesperson for SV and the wider Shell Innovation group by speaking at conferences, authoring thought-pieces, hosting events, engaging with media, etc.
· Support the post-close management of investments which can include taking a position as Board Director or Observer
· Contribute to reporting on the performance of portfolio companies
· Bachelor’s Degree in Computer sciences, Engineering, Chemical, Physical sciences or related field (Post Graduate Degree in Finance (eg CPA, CMA or CFA) or Economics (e.g. financial MBA) would be preferred)
· Extensive experience in venture capital, with experience in the IT/Digital, mobility or energy/cleantech space, power and renewables at least six (6) years of transaction background (e.g. M&A, PE/VC, Commercial Finance). Understands how technology or new business models can unlock new opportunities
· Experience in all aspects of VC (Due Diligence to deal structuring, negotiating, and post-close deal management) experience in the following areas:
o Financial Modeling, Valuation and Analysis
o Mergers, Acquisition, and Divestments
o Finance Input to Commercial Decisions, Risk Management, and Internal Control
o Business Partnering & Negotiations
o Strategy Development, Execution and Portfolio management
· Demonstrable expertise in energy, digital, mobility, consumer or related tech assessment, professional experience in a technical or operational role would be a plus
· Professional experience in investment banking (IBD of Energy, digital or new economic sectors), consulting firm, technical or operational role in Tech/Digital company would be a plus
· Strong professional network
· Strong commercial deal-making experience
· ‘Executive presence’ and the ability to represent SV in public forums
· Ability to build and maintain relationships within a complex, global corporation: some ‘corporate stamina’ is required